We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shorts and sneakers to a Broadway show?

Plainville...
6 posts
Save Topic
Shorts and sneakers to a Broadway show?

I am going to see a Broadway show later this week. From reading other posts I understand that "business casual" is appropriate dress code and normally that is what I would wear to any show. However, we will be spending the day in NY, walking around and then seeing the show in the evening. I really can't see myself wearing anything but sneakers comfortably. Also, it's going to be 95 degrees that day and we are not staying in a hotel so changing outfits isn't an option. Would it really be a problem to attend the show in nice knee-length shorts, a nice top and sneakers? Don't want to be dressed inappropriately but comfort on a really hot day is an issue. If it's not appropriate, any suggestions? Thanks!

kingston, ont
Level Contributor
129 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shorts and sneakers to a Broadway show?

Sounds fine

Edited: 17 June 2012, 18:20
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,972 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shorts and sneakers to a Broadway show?

1) How can you possibly know what the weather will be later in the week? The weathermen can't get it right the day before let alone a week before.

2) You will see every kind of dress. Wear what you want. Just know that you could wind up being cold in shorts inside an air conditioned theater and it may limit where you'll feel comfortable eating.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Shorts and sneakers to a Broadway show?

I've seen everything at a B'way production - as the Whiz states - theaters are generally kept very cool - take heed!

Are you just in for one day - after a day of sightseeing etc. going to a show - one of the worse scenarios is someone who overuses 'smellies' (perfume) or just smells.

Be considerate of your fellow theatergoers - make sure you are not emanating any offensive odors - this is a 100 times worse than wearing shorts and sneakers!

Poppa

Plainville...
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Shorts and sneakers to a Broadway show?

Thanks for the advice. Yes, we're just going for one day. Plan on eating very casual so that won't be a problem. Definitely understand the need to consider odors! I have a very sensitive nose myself. A friend had suggested I wear capris and change into a nice pair of sandals before the show but after walking all day in sneakers I don't think anyone sitting around me would appreciate this suggestion!!! I also appreciate the advice re: air conditioning. Am hoping the weathermen are wrong on this and it's a more comfortable day, but want to be prepared for the worst. Thanks!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,737 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Shorts and sneakers to a Broadway show?

So, far it looks like it might be in low to mid 90s for a few days this week, but just check the day before - the forecasts change constantly but do heed the bit about the air conditioning - stores, restaurants, theaters, etc crank it up in the summer and you can end up freezing in short sleeves, etc.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shorts and sneakers to a Broadway show?

I will be blunt with you: it does not matter what you are wearing, -- NO ONE will want to sit next to anyone who has been walking around all day in 95 degree weather and who, after doing that, has not subsequently taken a shower before going to the theater. If you cannot clean up after hiking all day in the heat (and you say you can't), you should reconsider going to the theater at all -- and this applies whether you were walking around a ll day in shorts or in a designer cocktail dress..

Edited: 17 June 2012, 20:14
Ohio
Level Contributor
7,994 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shorts and sneakers to a Broadway show?

I vote for capris and taking some dressier sandals with you. You can pop into a restroom before the show with a small pack of baby wipes, deodorant etc. and freshen up quickly. You can stick your tennis shoes in a ziplock freezer bag if they are on the smelly side. Just have a nice bag along to carry everything in.

Edited: 17 June 2012, 21:43
Level Contributor
2,863 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shorts and sneakers to a Broadway show?

Wet, scented paper towels that come in little plastic or aluminum packages can be used in any rest room of a restaurant or even at the St Moritz Hotel, but you know this. If it's 90 degrees that day, then bring two/person.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,737 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Shorts and sneakers to a Broadway show?

If in the 90s plus humidity, yes please do bring something to clean up a bit before sitting down next others.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,073 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shorts and sneakers to a Broadway show?

Sneakers are fine. There is no need for you to spend a day carrying sandals. You could probably wear a bathing suit--and as long as you didn't have an odor about you ---no one would care. ( but you would be cold in the a/c)