We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Evening Walk

pseigel,
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Evening Walk

My wife and I are arriving in the late afternoon and would like to get some advice on areas to walk around in the evening to get some light dinner, and possibly stop by somewhere for some entertainment. Spontaneous, no reservations necessary,

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Evening Walk

Greenwich Village..Upper West Side

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,938 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Evening Walk

East village Chelsea lower east side

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Evening Walk

I will second (third?) the Village. The East Village is funkier, and the West Village is gayer and more elegant. Both have great restaurants and are interesting places to visit. Another suggestion would be to take the L train one stop into Brooklyn and visit Williamsburg's Bedford Avenue.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Evening Walk

Where are you staying?

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Evening Walk

Arthur Avenue in the Bronx - the new Little Italy!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,820 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Evening Walk

You'll find restaurants in every single area. The type of entertainment you want will be the factor in determining what the best area for you would be. The village has lots of jazz clubs, blues, piano bars, sometimes some live poetry readings, sometimes outdoor music at Washington Square Park and Union Square and a few comedy clubs.

pseigel,
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Evening Walk

Thanks for everyone's interest. I was originally thinking of the village (east) but my wife suggested the LES and since I live in Fla. the changes there have escaped me. I hear that a lot is going on there nightlife wise. We are more mature (older) and don't relish the idea of being surrounded by a bunch of rowdy 20 somethings so i guess we are looking for a more sedate surrounding.

So....how about the lower east side?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
6,678 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Evening Walk

Although it is not near you, considering your last comment, you might enjoy a stroll around Lincoln Center area at night. The Lincoln Center plaza is very nice - with the fountain, the ballet, theatre, opera patrons. There are many popular outdoor cafes. Sometimes free, good quality outdoor entertainment.

You might walk down to the Time Warner building and its open shops, and the lovely fountain at Columbus Circle. Even part of Central Park. Popular and safe in evenings.

If not your first night, maybe another night.

lc.lincolncenter.org/visitor-guide/location

www.theshopsatcolumbuscircle.com/about/

www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/columbuscircle/

pseigel,
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Evening Walk

Thanks for the thought. I never really considered a walk in midtown. It seems less intimate than the village but I agree that it might be more of what we want. I have been to Time Warner.. Nice Mall but a mall nonetheless. Per Se is a difficult reservation.

What avenue are the outdorr cafes concentrated?

Actually, sound a nice alternative.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Evening Walk

Walk The Highline.

www.thehighline.org

Eat at The Red Cat, Cookshop, Trestle,...

Search on www.menupages.com