We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Macy shopping

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Macy shopping

Just browse the website and found lots of discount, so wonder is it better to shop online?

Second question is on outlet shopping. Touring around downtown today and found lots of shops in discount, so wonder is it better to shop downtown instead of going all the way to Woodbury?

Thanks....

Texas
Level Contributor
259 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Macy shopping

Not sure about NYC, but I know in my area I can often get the items cheaper in the store with discount coupons than I can at an outlet store. You have to watch the outlets for the "irregular" items. i would rather buy from the store with discount coupons to assure I am getting a "regular" rahter than an "irregular" item.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,409 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Macy shopping

You can get a 10% off discount shopping card as an out of town visiter . You just have to show your passport at the customer service desk on the mezzanine level in the main store , opposite Starbucks , to recieve it .

Century 21 also has some good bargins if you are willing to do a bit of hunting through the racks.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Macy shopping

Shop in the City - lots of deals as you found out. Why pay $40+ to go to Woodbury - use the discount card at Macy's - you're better off.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
21,214 posts
1,821 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Macy shopping

I find Macys tend to have better deals on shopping rather than going to the hassle of going to a outlet mall which is not nearby.

New York City
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Macy shopping

For Macy you can find bargins after or during the hoildays and when they switch their clothing to a new season, like summer to fall. That is when I go and save a lot of money because you will find plenty of clothing marked down.

Another thing, for Queens Mall/Rego Park Mall,where there is a Macy's/Century 21/J.C. Penny/Victoria Secert and so on, too every other store in the area is marking down their prices too.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,197 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Macy shopping

Shopping online at Macy's is fine if you plan to spend at least $100. They have free shipping, but only if your order totals $99 before taxes. The down side is that since you're not trying the items on, you run the risk of having to return them if they don't fit. The up side is that you don't have the hassle of trying to find something in a crowded store. As far as discounts, they are the same online or in the store.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Macy shopping

Actually, items are different online than in store a lot. Macys employees can now pull up items on their website and see the price difference but some employees won't alter the price for you. Most don't feel like arguing and just match it. It's a good gauge of prices though.

Medford, New York
Level Contributor
197 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Macy shopping

I have to disagree regarding Macy's online prices being the same price as in the store. On two occasions the online price was lower than the price in the store. On the second occasion, I printed out the page with the internet price and took it to Macy's. I showed it to the sales lady and they honored the internet price with no problem. She said the local store doesn't interface with the internet so they don't know what price the internet charges.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,538 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Macy shopping

Many of the major department stores are having good clothing sales right now, but during certain times of year clothing is mostly full-priced, with few sales (unless it's clearance from last season). It often depends on how long the seasonal clothing has been out.

Some people just really enjoy outlet shopping as a hobby. I don't try to argue with them when they want to take a day trip to Woodbury Commons. But for people who have no particular love of shopping, and no particular high-priced item that they are hoping to find at the outlet, it's often not worth the cost of transportation and the time spent.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
3,508 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Macy shopping

The trip to the outlets is NOT WORTH it. Shop the stores all over the city including Macy's (my favorite store). In my opinion shopping the store is better as you will not have any delivery fees plus you can actually see and touch what you are buying.

Have fun and please don't waste your time going to the outlets.