We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PAYG SIM with cheap data usage charges

Level Contributor
85 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
PAYG SIM with cheap data usage charges

Hi

Sorry for yet another thread about PAYG SIMs but I couldn't answer my question from all the other threads or by generel net research.

I'll be travelling to NYC for five days soon and would like to be able to use my unlocked smartphone (Samsung Omnia 7, uses normal-size SIM card) to navigate the city using Google Maps and other apps - won't really do many calls or texts. Data roaming charges with my current network provider are outrageous, as expected.

What I do have gathered from other threads is that only AT&T sell PAYG SIMs separate from cells.

AT&Ts plans don't really appeal to me as they seem to focus on voice and text while data is 5 cents per KB (att.com/shop/wireless/plans/prepaidplans.html).

T-Mobile's 3$/day plan looks much more appealing (…t-mobile.com/pay-by-the-day-cell-phone-plans) but how exactly do I go about getting this one? They seem to distinguish between PAYG and 'No annual contract plans'/'Pay by the day'. Will I have to be a resident to get one of these? How do I put credit on my SIM?

Does anyone use this plan or know someone who used it?

Thanks to all respondents in advance.

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
137 reviews
from US$175.00*
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,115 reviews
from US$199.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
999 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,388 reviews
from US$36.00*
1. Re: PAYG SIM with cheap data usage charges

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 23 June 2012, 09:35
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel
Level Contributor
4,467 posts
410 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: PAYG SIM with cheap data usage charges

AT&T is not the only one that sells prepaid plan, here is an interesting article on prepaid data plan in the usa:

prepaidphonenews.com/2011/02/best-prepaid-da…

I started with AT&T and kind of used to it having switched from one plan to another plan over a period of time. I was more particularly concern about coverage when moving from city to city and trusted AT&T more than other providers but thats not necessary be true. I left enough money in the card to remain valid for a year so that I dont have to buy another one when I return to the USA.

i don't think you need to be a resident to take up the daily plan, just like the AT&T daily plan which you can walk in and pick up one.

As for topping up the card the link you provided on t-mobile has the answer under the FAQ.

T-mobile has many retail location in NYC which you can walk in and ask for more details. you can find the store location on their website.

do share with us your experience with T-mobile if you decide to go with it while in NYC.

3. Re: PAYG SIM with cheap data usage charges

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2012, 20:20
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel
Level Contributor
4,467 posts
410 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: PAYG SIM with cheap data usage charges

sorry, the link is here:

prepaidphonenews.com/2011/02/best-prepaid-da…

if it gets trancated again, here is the a part that you need to cut and paste together;

http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2011/02/

and follow by: best-prepaid-data-carriers-and-plans.html

hope it works this time!

Edited: 23 June 2012, 10:20
5. Re: PAYG SIM with cheap data usage charges

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 23 June 2012, 10:31
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel
Level Contributor
4,467 posts
410 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: PAYG SIM with cheap data usage charges

pardon me,

AT&T website shows that the $50 monthly plan gives you unlimited data, all others are usage based:

att.com/shop/wireless/plans/prepaidplans.html

you have to pay another $25 per month for up to 1GB.

Edited: 23 June 2012, 10:33
7. Re: PAYG SIM with cheap data usage charges

Removed on: 23 June 2012, 16:39
Level Contributor
85 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: PAYG SIM with cheap data usage charges

Thanks for your input, Mark. Good point about the frequencies. T-Mobile does run its GSM network on 1900 MHz (that much I remembered) but that won't be of much use for data usage.

So that'd be 25$ then for the monthly plan and another 25$ for 1GB of data? Jeez... might be better off using my current provider's roaming offer then.

9. Re: PAYG SIM with cheap data usage charges

Removed on: 23 June 2012, 17:18
Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: PAYG SIM with cheap data usage charges

Used the T-Mobile in NYC and DC and it worked decently. Not top speed but got the info I needed at 2G speed. There are also lots of places where you can get Wifi. This was with an android phone btw.

Edited: 23 June 2012, 15:20