We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYC in bloom - how long for?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
NYC in bloom - how long for?

Hi all.

Starting to think seriously about dates for my trip to NYC next year as flights are starting to go on sale.

At the moment we're looking at the last week of April and first week of May. I'd love to see the city, parks and gardens in full bloom and am hoping that this time would have a high chance of coinciding with that!

There were lots of comments about the city blooming early this year (end of March?). Obviously no one knows when the city will start to bloom next year and I'm not asking that, so my question is for this year - was there still a lot of colour and flowers around at the end of April/start of May? Or, if we did come at this time next year and the city bloomed early again, are we likely to have missed the best of it?

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NYC in bloom - how long for?

All I know is that the Linden trees are blooming now and my block smells amazing. There are Lindens on Carroll Street and President Street in the Slope, but I have smelled them all over the City. Don't know how long it will last for as we seemed to have missed out on Winter this year. Obviously things are seasonal, but things will likely be blooming till September.

If you are into gardening, make sure that you visit the Bronx Botanical Gardens, The Brooklyn Botanic Gardens or Wave Hill.

Everything is really lush right now. There has been just enough rain to keep the ground wet and lots of sun. My yard is really blooming this year too. Cut back the Cherry tree and have much more of the bright yellow stuff in the yard. The green leafy things are happy. The mosquitos appear happy this year too

Enjoy the sights and smells. [Gardens are good, a hot Sunday night in Chinatown is bad.]

MEL

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,119 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NYC in bloom - how long for?

There is some information at nycgovparks.org/greening/…manhattan regarding when various plants bloom. It isn't as detailed as you might like, but at least it provides some useful information.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NYC in bloom - how long for?

It depends on what flowers you want to see blooming.

Daffodils and forsythia come from late March into April; callery pears usually bloom in early april; tulips come from April into May depending on the kind; lilacs bloom from early to mid May, as do peonies; azaleas bloom in the middle of may, followed by rhododendronsand Irises in late May. We are now in the season for roses and (as noted) linden trees. (I also have a big patch of monarda/bee balm in my front garden in Queens that has been in bloom for about a week and a half now, and my oriental lilies and clematis are also blooming. Silk trees/mimosas bloom in July; September brings michaelmas daisies/New York asters; and come October and November, you will still have chrysanthemums in full bloom -- so depending on where you look, there are always flowers to be found in New York.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NYC in bloom - how long for?

Thank you all so much for the info :)

I have heard so many wonderful things about NYC in the Spring, I just wasn't sure if the 'best' of it generally happened over a short period. It sounds like there should be a fair few different flowers, blossoms etc throughout March/April/May which will be fantastic!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NYC in bloom - how long for?

We have visited during that week for the past three years. There are always wonderful flowers in bloom! For the first two years, there were incredible tulip displays (especially in Central Park). This past year, we searched and found a few shaded areas with a few tulips still blooming.

However, there were other wonderful floral displays.

We have found that to be an ideal week to visit....at least for the past three years.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
469 posts
583 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NYC in bloom - how long for?

I visited at the end of March two years ago and there were only really daffodils blooming then. Sounds like a month later would be lovely.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
59 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NYC in bloom - how long for?

I visited the Central Park Conservatory Garden around April 20 this year and took these pictures of the beautiful blooms:

…blogspot.com/2012/04/conservatory-garden-in…

The magnolia trees were in full bloom the previous week. You could smell the sweet aroma a distance away.

If you do visit the Conservatory Garden. do check out the beautiful entrance gates:

…blogspot.com/2012/05/vanderbilt-gate-at-con…

8. Re: NYC in bloom - how long for?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2013, 05:45