We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYC lodging for theater company in November

Dallas
Level Contributor
16 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
NYC lodging for theater company in November

I been asked to help find lodging for a 10 member theater company in NYC in November, between the 4th and 18th. For $200 or less per room per night. I know. The most concise configuration I've come up with is: 1 room with 2 guys for 15 nights; 1 room with 3 women for 15 nights; 1 room with a married couple for 14 nights; and 1 room with 3 guys for 10 nights. We may have to split out the triples. I've spent hours reading the forums and have researched many of the budget hotels and apartment hotels, but they're all outside the company's budget. Don't want to risk Airbnb or the like. I've looked at Leo House but not sure we want to wait til August to book. I've looked into Long Island City - is that perhaps our best bet? We need to book flights too, any knowledge out there about packages - are they worth it? Laundry facilites would be great. I've already told them they'll probably have to travel. They'll be perfoming at a festival in the East Village. Any brilliant ideas? Thanks in advance for trying to help me tackle this seemingly impossible task!

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NYC lodging for theater company in November

You need to talk directly with the group department at a hotel-- I would start with the Country Inn and suites in Long Island city because of your limited budget. No one here is really going to be able to help you with the myriad of questions that an undertaking like this spawns

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NYC lodging for theater company in November

www.kayak.com is a GREAT site for flights.

I think you would need help either from a hotel or potentially from a travel agent.

I agree with Bilmin - the Country Inn and Suites may be a very good choice for you all.

Edited: 25 June 2012, 11:28
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,234 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NYC lodging for theater company in November

Checkout the Eastgate Tower on http://www.affinia.com

You can get 6 people into a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom apartment with full kitchen and living/dining area for $496/night plus tax . This is their special rate for people staying 7 days or more. This suite has three queen sized beds and a pull-out sofa.

This is an apartment-style hotel and all units have a kitchen of some sort. I've never stayed in a 2br apt, but in the one bedroom the kitchen has a large (by hotel standards) refridgerator/freezer and a dishwasher. In the large suite, no dishwasher and small fridge.

Play around with your "roommate" configs on this site and see what you can do .... when you put in your dates and people and then get to the results page, be sure to scroll down. The first rates you see are not always the cheapest (even though it says 'best availabe rate').

Read the reviews here on TA for this hotel. Most people like it ... but not all.

tripadvisor.com/…UR132588547

Happy Planning!!!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,344 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NYC lodging for theater company in November

You should know that Nov. 4 is the NYC Marathon and a lot of hotels may be booked for that night. You might also find flying on Monday cheaper if you don't really need to be here on the 5th til the evening.

You need to phone any hotels you're interested in. The prices you're seeing online now are "rack rates" (rate card). Ask about a discount for multiple rooms and longer stay or just ask what the best they could do pricewise.

The Comfort Inn Chelsea and the Wolcott both have some rooms with 3 single beds that would make your life a bit easier.

comfortinn.com/hotel-new_york-new_york-NY329…

The Wolcott

http://www.wolcott.com/roomsmain.html

In a hostel you'd find rooms with 3 single beds. Chelsea International would be the nearest legal hostel.

http://www.chelseahostel.com/rates.html

The suite hotels may be overbudget, but if you were able to get a larger suite with more people sharing, that might work. The Affinia Dumont would be the best location for getting to the east village and they have some large 1 bedroom suites with 2 queen beds and sofabed. The Eastgate Tower is owned by the same co. and has some quite large 2 bedroom 2 bathroom suites that would sleep 6- 8 people but that would mean them all sharing beds. The Marmara is another suite hotel that has some 3 bedroom 3 bathroom suites with full kitchens etc. The Wellington is a midtown hotel that's large and I know takes a lot of school groups and has various size rooms/suites, some have been renovated.

The cheapest option would be to stay in Long Island City but even there you may have a hard time with availability.

I don't know that packages will make any sense for you. I doubt you'll find them for that length of time and the hotels are maybe not the best for your purposes.

Dallas
Level Contributor
16 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NYC lodging for theater company in November

Sorry for the delayed reply, everyone. Thanks so much to all of you for your good advice. I have checked out several of the places that were mentioned. Most are out of our budget, but I haven't spoken to all of the hotels yet. The head of the theater company is pretty gung ho on Airbnb or VRBO, despite my warnings, since their housing budget is so low. We'll see... Again thanks for your expertise. I never booky ANYTHING without checking TA first!

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,144 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NYC lodging for theater company in November

Forget about using VRBO. Vacation apartment rentals of less than 30 days are illegal in NYC.

See the 2nd "Top Questions about New York City" that appears on the right-hand side of this forum page --- "Why are Vacation Apartment Rentals a Bad Idea in NYC?"

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NYC lodging for theater company in November

the head of the theatre group is ripe for being scammed

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,089 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NYC lodging for theater company in November

Are you an employee of the theatre company? If you are a volunteer helping out I would just refuse to book an illegal apartment which has a good chance of being a scam. Let the head of the company do it himself if that is what he wants. At least then, you can't be blamed!

Dallas
Level Contributor
16 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: NYC lodging for theater company in November

Yes, I know most are illegal and I know he runs a risk of being scammed. I have warned him repeatedly. I am a volunteer, so I can't really book any place for him. I'm just doing the research. He's up a creek because the host company in NY promised lodging or financial help that they didn't deliver. Ten people have been working on the project for many months and there are other professional loyalties involved. More info than you need, but that's why he's considering rolling the dice. And yes, I've told him they may all be left out on the curb with nowhere to go! Thanks everyone.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,234 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: NYC lodging for theater company in November

You said $200/room/night ... I found you the Eastgate tower apt which is the equivalent of 3 rooms for $496, so if you can share an apartment, it's not out of your price range.

The director doesn't know what s/he's talking about. If I were you'd I'd tell him you won't look VRBO so if he wants to do it, he's on his own.