We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meal costs for budgeting purposes only

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
556 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Meal costs for budgeting purposes only

I am currently planning my trip for next July and need to have an idea of what kind of costs I am looking at.

I would like to know approx how much a dinner for 2 would cost me at a restaurant (like a steak house) if we ordered

2 starters of salads

2 main courses of Fillet with sauces baked potatoes and a veggie

2 desserts

I have looked at the menu on line from Striphouse and Smith and Wollensky and I come to an amount of about $161.00

Would this be the approx cost at any restaurant of the same standard as the ones I have mentioned?

When ordering the steaks or any other main course, do you always have to pay extra for your starch and sauce and vegie?

Is that how the restaurants work in NYC?

Please advise....and thanks in advance

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Meal costs for budgeting purposes only

dont forget tax and tip are on top of the $161

Not all restaurants work the same as such

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Meal costs for budgeting purposes only

Steakhouses in NYC are notorious for over charging for ala carte items - NO potato is worth $9.00 each in my book - you can do better on steak in a bistro - check CIBONYC menu for more normal pricing of food items.

Poppa

Boston
Level Contributor
24,405 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Meal costs for budgeting purposes only

To lump all restaurants into one price range is not the way to figure on average what a meal is going to cost especially a Steakhouse where you have a choice of different cuts and different size steaks.

Its would be safe to assume that a budget of $150 to $175 would be in the ball park for what your asking assuming its a top end steakhouse and not a fast food steakhouse. Of course cocktails or a bottle of wine would add to the cost along with the meal tax.

Restaurants run the gamut in NYC from fairly inexpensive on up. Restaurants In NY also run many specials whereas you get your starter, entree and dessert for a fixed price. Some of these are a great bargain.

Here is a Special at Capital Grille which is a bargain. Click on the three-course Performing Arts Menu for $39 per person.

thecapitalgrille.com/Locations/…Main.asp

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Meal costs for budgeting purposes only

New York does indeed have some good steak houses - like Smith and Wollensky, Peter Lugars and the like. But, part of the joy of eating in NYC is not the expensive places, but the variety of lower cost options that are available. These are some of my fave places to eat in NYC. Cheap eats include:

1. Great pizza almost everywhere

2. Burger Fries and a malted at Shake Shack

3. Indian Lunch buffets in the East Village

4. Chinatown.

5. Food truck cuisine

And of course, every neighborhood has their own hole in the wall restaurants that are often quite good. Menus are posted outside most NYC restaurants. Look at the menu - is it priced right? Does it sound appealing? Look in the window, do the diners look content. If so - head in.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,462 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Meal costs for budgeting purposes only

Most of the steakhouses in NYC do charge extra for sides (potato and veg) when ordering from an a la carte menu but that's not typical in most other restaurants. Usually a main entree comes with some sides. If you want different ones, you may pay extra for that.

I agree with all 3 of the gentlemen above, namely

>tax and tip will make that $160 meal over $200 (tax is a bit over 8% and tip is 15-20% of the base price of the meal)

>there are good value steak dinners being offered in French bistros if you don't have to have a particular cut of meat. Steak frites in a French restaurant is usually very tasty (Balthazar in Soho is very popular for this).

>Capital Grille's pre theater dinner is one of the best values in NYC (imo). Closer to Times Square, Saju Bistro offers one that includes hanger steak that's also very good for a bit less money. Le Relais de Venise is a good value steak place. The steak is not as good as the top steakhouses, but the prices are much better.

menupages.com/restaurants/…

The one thing you haven't mentioned is drinks. That's much more expensive here than it is at home. I find that drinks, tax and tip can usually double a food bill.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,462 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Meal costs for budgeting purposes only

I agree with the 4th gentleman too whose post I didn't see.. Lots of really inexpensive and tasty food to be had for a fraction of the price of a steakhouse. ;)

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Meal costs for budgeting purposes only

Whiz - who are you calling a gentleman?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,462 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Meal costs for budgeting purposes only

I was using the term loosely. ;) Please don't take offense.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,745 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Meal costs for budgeting purposes only

And portions can be large in NYC -- sometimes people will share appetizers and/or desserts or get two of each and share an entree. With over 25000 restaurants in this town there is no one size fits all!

New York City
Level Contributor
4,679 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Meal costs for budgeting purposes only

I agree why eat a steak house

Eat the following ALOT cheaper and probably more memorable

REAL NY Pizza

REAL NY Bagels (Bagel and Cream cheese about $3)

Hot Dog Off the Cart

Pastrami on Rye About $10 (A bit harder to find)