We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alone in NYC

London, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Alone in NYC

Hi all,

I'm hoping to come to NY for the last 2 weeks in august. I'm going to book in the next few days and after reading posts from others travelling alone I think I'm going to book the HI. However, I still feel like I need some advice! I'm not sure whether 2 weeks might be too long? Other posters have said that HI hostel is super social, but if it turns out not to be I'm not sure I could handle 2 weeks by myself, especially in a big city! I was wondering if there is any other way you guys might recommend to meet people to spend time with.

As some background, I'm 21, f, and I really just want to get away from home (London) and have some fun in what I hope is an amazing city!

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
140 Reviews
from US$175.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
1,012 Reviews
from US$83.99*
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...
1,127 Reviews
from US$57.00*
NYC Empire State Observatory...
2,394 Reviews
from US$37.00*
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alone in NYC

Wish you were here in July! I'll be traveling solo and I'd hang out with you!

HI hosts tours and events so that it gives you an extra chance to mingle with people. These events range from bar hopping to just standard tours. Make sure your hostel mates know that you are traveling alone and are looking for social interaction. Maybe they will invite you along. Make sure to try and be in the community rooms during popular times such as dining and peak hours. Don't be shy, just jump in a conversation! You will have a great time. There is a lot to see in NYC so you won't be bored even if you end up not being a social butterfly.

Edited: 30 June 2012, 03:25
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alone in NYC

You are never alone in NYC unless you want to be. People are usually surprised about just how friendly NYers are. Head to a local watering hole and people will love talking to you. We are all suckers for British accents.

I travelled alone through Europe for six weeks back in the day. I loved that it gave me the opportunity to see things that I wanted to at the pace that I wanted to travel at. It also forced me to socialize with the natives more than I would have if I travelled with someone else. It turned out fine.

There are lots of single folks in NYC. You will be one of many.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
101,447 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alone in NYC

Taking tours is another way to meet people.

You can also start posting on the forum regularly and might meet some other folks who'll be here the same time or some locals, willing to meet for drinks or some activity.

You might also consider some daytrips out of the city to break up the time. You could even go somewhere else for a few days whether another city like Boston or out to a beach location.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
17,249 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alone in NYC

Also, sitting at the bar in restaurants to eat is another way to chat to people. The barman or other solos next to you will start up a conversation. It's amazing the coincidences you find when chatting from people all around the world.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
923 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alone in NYC

Amber: If you are a dog lover, a grad student is setting up a "rent a dog" charity in Central Park. All proceeds go to a shelter. Here's an article about it:

Sounds like a way to meet nice folks, but I have to agree that the average native NYer is friendly.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alone in NYC

Hey Amber19283:-) Agree with all here.. you won't be alone if you don't chooe to be;-) FWIW, HI is close to Columbia University and the time you'll be here is when the activity in area is peak with lots of new students from all over the world moving in.. classes starting.. the area is set up well with numerous communal dining options.. walk up to Broadway and starting at 110th, you've got Chipotle Mexican and Maoz vegetarian on the same block with communal dining tables.. further up is 'Community Food and Juice';-)

From The Underground on the corner of 107th and West End Avenue (live evening entertainment from comedians to jazz..rock bands) to Havana up on 114th who also offer live music, you'll find loads of places to mingle and meet!

If you walk up Amsterdam Avenue where the hostel is located, you'll find the infamous Hungarian Pastry shop across from St John the Divine on 111th Street.. bit futher up is Artopolis cafe with lots of Greek specialties.. and all this is right in the neigborhood;-) If you get hungry and want to have some supplies for your room, head to West Side Market on 110th/Broadway.. open 24X7..and usually packed! FWIW, right next to the market you've got some fabulous pizza at Koronet's.. you won't find huger slices anywhere and it's been around for eons.. Mel's Burgers is right next door.. and most of these places have outside seating as well;-) If you're looking to try the best bagel the City offers (IMO), check out Absolute Bagels between 107-108th Streets on Broadway..usually a line;-) The entire area is teeming with Columbia U students, professors, locals! I have no doubt you'll fit right in.. and totally Enjoy!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Alone in NYC

You could always join one of the NYC groups on www.meetup.com

I've not done it myself but friends have in other cities and had a great time.

Belfast, Northern...
Level Contributor
35 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alone in NYC

I went to NYC alone in November and if u plan ur trip out before going u will be so busy that u won't mind being alone. I actually loved being in a Big City like NYC alone it in itself is an experience. But yes New Yorkers are very friendly so u will be fine

9. Re: Alone in NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2013, 10:16