We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Day in NYC

Mortlake, Australia
Level Contributor
298 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas Day in NYC

We (husband, 21 yr old daughter and 9 yr old son) are spending a week in NYC over Christmas.

Given that we will be a long way from home & Santa will probably leave his presents here in Aus for us to see when we get home, does anyone have any suggestions on how we might spend Christmas Day in the city?

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas Day in NYC

Well now, you choose to visit NYC on a major holiday in the US. It will be a relaxed pace in the City - many venues will be closed, stores, museums etc.

Certain restaurants will be serving dinner - check in Oct/Nov for reservations.

Ice skating, weather permitting in Rockefeller Plaza or the Wollman rink in Central Park or Bryant Park are a few of the possibilities; as are the movies.

Edited: 30 June 2012, 12:39
Wolcott, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Bar Harbor
Level Contributor
917 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas Day in NYC

We spent Christmas in NYC last year. Here's what we did: Checked out the window displays, all of which were up and running on XMas day. Kids and adults love it. Went shopping at the Fair in Bryant Park. Most of the vendors were open; jewelry, food, toys, pottery, hot chocolate etc. There is also ice skating in Bryant Park in the middle of all the vendors. Walked the High Line trail. It's down on the lower west side and beautiful. Also a place to skate nearby. Ate brunch at a great Mexican Restaurant; can't remember the name but it was down 9th Ave. Rockefeller Center to see the tree. We were lucky last year because it was a very sunny and mild day so we were able to walk and just explore. If you're staying in the city get back out to see the lights at nite.

Singapore
Level Contributor
123 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas Day in NYC

I was in NYC on Christmas day in 2011. Can visit Bryant Park - there is a Christmas market - most stores are opened. Can spend some time in Timesquare.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,938 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas Day in NYC

Every Jewish museum is open . Eat dinner in Chinatown and then head to a movie.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas Day in NYC

It's 98 degrees in sweltering NYC today. And you talk of Christmas? Got a long way to go before we get there.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas Day in NYC

There will be services (often with very good music) in every Catholic, Lutheran, and Episcopalian (Anglican) church in the city on Christmas Day, and visitors are always welcome.

Edited: 30 June 2012, 15:47
Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
1,350 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas Day in NYC

There are 3 performances of The Radio City Christmas Spectacular (radiocitychristmas.com) on Christmas day at 1:00, 4:00, 7:00. If purchasing tickets between now and July 4, you can avoid ticketing fees (as high as $18.55 per ticket) at the show website by entering BDAY in the "enter offer code/passwod" box.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas Day in NYC

GWB - thanks for the listing of religious services - I think we all forget what the holiday is all about.

I know, in my neck of the woods, they go all out with special music on CEve and Christmas Day.........

A visit to a church on the day would be very worthwhile for guests visiting the City.

Poppa

Mortlake, Australia
Level Contributor
298 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas Day in NYC

Thanks for all your replies. Sounds like we will be much busier in NYC on Christmas Day than we would be at home ;-). Once we decide on accommodation I can check out the nearby churches and most definitely book at Radio City.

I know it's a long time till Christmas BrooklynMel but I am just so excited about our long awaited, once in a lifetime trip to the US that I'm extending our enjoyment by starting the planning now. Besides, it's mid Winter and very cold here so it's easier to think about a cold Christmas Day than it will be when we leave here at the start of our Summer!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
45 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Christmas Day in NYC

We were in NYC last Christmas. At home we do the whole "traditional" Christmas meal with family, but in NYC we just did what we felt like doing and it was lovely.

Went to morning mass at St Patrick's Cathedral which was very special. Late morning husband, eldest son and I took the subway to Brooklyn, wandered around and walked over the Brooklyn Bridge. Also explored some of the downtown area.

Later in the afternoon my husband and I walked to Central Park, watched some of the skaters, and just enjoyed the experience. It felt cold (to us) but was fine.

21 year old son spent most of the day watching all the basketball games on TV! He is a huge fan and was very happy!

Just enjoy being there. One of my favourite memories of our stay was walking up 5th Avenue about 7am Christmas Eve morning. It was cold, clear and very little traffic. The large snowflake was sparkling and there was Christmas music playing from somewhere. It was just so beautiful .