We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wonderment

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,051 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Wonderment

So, my daughter was in NYC on business this past Weds and Thursday. She met her 2 collegues at the Affinia Shelburne. One had never been to the city, from Arizona, and other was here maybe 20 years ago.Both boys

They all wanted Pizza so she took them to John's in midtown. They were yakking on the way there and no one paid a lot of attention. When they came out, it was dark. They walked back to the hotel through Times Square.

She said she had to back track because she lost them! Guess where they were..Standing, gawking, turning in a circle, mouths open in the middle of Times Square. We forget how gobsmacking it all is, I guess.

She had a good laugh over it and then again, when they went to the rooftop bar at the Affinia Shelburne, when they just stopped dead in their tracks at the sight of the ESB , all lit up

I am coming to the city the 18 and 19th of this month. I am going to try really hard to get in touch with my sense of wonder

So, it is true that we tourists just stop in the middle of the street for no apparent reason..I remember doing that my first time IN Times Square,staring at a theatre..I wanted to be a stage actress, when I was young and very foolish..lol.. I even burst into tears in the middle of the street.. My husband was so embarassed..I'm sure you guys would have made fun of me, as I would now..but I'm still going to try to get that back..:)

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wonderment

Dee, even after all these years, I still have that feeling when I take the Staten Island ferry and see the wall of buildings in lower Manhattan get closer and closer, especially at evening.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,051 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wonderment

It is a gorgeous view, isn't it..:)

Hertfordshire
Level Contributor
451 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wonderment

Can anyone go to the Affinia Manhattan rooftop bar (I mean non guests) . I think that sounds a lovely way to spend an evening.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,051 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wonderment

Yes,gocuba,it's not just for guests. We were going to meet her there but I broke my stupid ankle and had to cancel.

She got some really nice photos of the ESB from there.

Hertfordshire
Level Contributor
451 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wonderment

Thank you Dee that sounds great xx

Hertfordshire
Level Contributor
451 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wonderment

Dee is it a fancy place, do w need to dress up or is casual but clean and tidy ok?

Thanks

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,051 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wonderment

Well, I haven't been yet. I don't know what I'll wear, probably whatever I wear to dinner. Slacks and a nice top, with sandals, likely

My daughter is a very down to earth girl and the most unfancy person I know. I am quite certain she wasn't dressed up. She wouldn't have been uncomfortable , not her way, but I can almost assure you, she was underdressed,lol.

I'd say go with however you feel most comfortable. Clean and tidy sounds good..:)

England
Level Contributor
1,132 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wonderment

fancy place...no, do you dress up ....no, good place to visit....yes.

Hertfordshire
Level Contributor
451 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wonderment

Thank you both, I am looking forward to the view.

Dee congratulations on your recent good news.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,051 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wonderment

Thank you!,,:))