We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NY to philadelphia

Wales
Level Contributor
284 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
NY to philadelphia

Has any one done this , thinking of doing a day trip there what's the best way to get there ? How long ? Cost Etc ......

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NY to philadelphia

Hey nevrox:-) Check Amtrak out of Penn Station.. easily doable.. many commute this daily;-) Happy planning.. and Enjoy!

Poland
Level Contributor
11 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NY to philadelphia

see also BoltBus

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NY to philadelphia

The best way to travel between New York and Philadelphia is by Amtrak train, as Litsa said. There are two types of trains: regional and Acela express. The trip on a regional train is about an hour and a half each way. Acela trains are about 15 minutes faster but a lot more expensive. Acela also offers a higher class of service, with all business-class and first-class cars, whereas the regional trains have coach class and business class. I find coach class on the regional trains quite comfortable.

Prices start at $36 each way for the regional trains and $94 for Acela. They can go up considerably for popular trains. Prices are lowest when you reserve your tickets at least two weeks in advance. As soon as you think you know when you want to go, reserve your tickets and indicate you will pick them up at the station. Generally, you can make changes without penalty as long as the tickets haven't been printed.

www.amtrak.com

Buses are also an option, but be aware that traffic between New York and Philadelphia can be very heavy. I think that makes buses less than ideal.

Wales
Level Contributor
284 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NY to philadelphia

Train sounds good to me it 180 return for 2 adults and one child does this sound good ?? Also how close is the staion in philadelphia to the centre , I know my round NY but never been to Philadelphia .

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
449 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NY to philadelphia

http://www.septa.org/maps/system/index.html

30th Street Station appears to be the Amtrak station of Philadelphia, so you might want to check out the above link for local public transport within the city.

Edited: 01 July 2012, 13:25
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
449 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NY to philadelphia

For more Philadelphia related questions, you might want to direct them to the Philadelphia board.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NY to philadelphia

30th street station is about a 10 minute taxi or bus ride (2.1 miles) from the Visitor center near Independence hall--- once there most of the historical spots are within walking distance.. I would just take Amtrak and then jump into a cab and ask for the visitor center--- it is very well organized and well done. The Philadelphia museum of art is also world class but is a little bit further out, There is a visitors trolley that will take you out there also available from the visitor's center

Edited: 01 July 2012, 13:35
Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NY to philadelphia

Yes, $180 round-trip for the three of you is good.

30th Street Station is just across the river from Center City. It's very, very fast and easy to get to Center City by local train (free with your Amtrak tickets), subway, or cab. Where exactly do you want to go, and what are you interested in doing?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
6,895 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: NY to philadelphia

I highly suggest you looking into the Bolt bus first. See the difference in cost (big!) and the bus is truly clean and upscale and takes you to the very center of the city.

I'm from there -- I know!

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,989 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: NY to philadelphia

If you miss out on Amtrak discount fares, also consider commuter rail, NJ Transit with a change to Septa, same three downtown stations.

Besides the Philadelphia Museum of Art (note the separate Annex building and the Rodin Museum) and the Academy of Fine Arts, there are several other smaller museums. These include the newer Museum of Jewish History in America, an oudoor Washington's Home foundation, and the huge Masonic Temple. Newest is the Barnes Foundation, an astounding collection of mostly French Impressionists (but there's more)-just moved to the Parkway from Lower Merion Township. It's one of the most important museums on the East Coast. This is so new that it books up heavily with timed internet-purchase tickets, especially on weekends. Must buy in advance.