We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alternatives to get to the River Cafe

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
146 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Alternatives to get to the River Cafe

Hi.

First of all, I tried my best to get information from the search tool, but could not find what I was looking for.

I did learn that you can take a water taxi to and from or subway.

I like the water taxi because we've never done it before.

Another option is to cross the Bridge by foot from Manhattan to Brooklyn, and then return by Water Taxi.

So, two questions:

1) Our reservations are at 9PM, so we would be crossing the Bridge at night. It's our third visit to NYC and I know it's very safe. Just wanted to know what's your opinion about crossing the bridge at night, on that matter.

2) Can anyone tell me where exactly we can take the water taxi at Manhattan, and where it arrives in Brooklyn? I suppose those stops are also valid for the reverse route. Because at the NYWT site the information seems to be centered on tours, and all we need is just a ride point to point. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong website.

Thanks in advance.

Mx

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alternatives to get to the River Cafe

I would look on the water taxi web site for the locations and times--- not sure how late they run but there is a stop in Dumbo very near the River cafe. It was right next door to it but I was there last week and they had moved the stop a bit but it is the only stop in Dumbo... it still remains quite walkable.

walking the bridge at night is perfectly safe and well lit. you will have lots of company

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alternatives to get to the River Cafe

Is it the water taxi or is it the East River Ferry you mean? Info on the latter is here:

http://www.nywaterway.com/ERF-Home.aspx

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,050 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Alternatives to get to the River Cafe

Whatever you choose, have a backup plan in case of bad weather.

If it is hot, as it has been, walking with the jacket that is required for men (if there is a man (men) in your party) may not be all that comfortable in the heat.

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
146 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alternatives to get to the River Cafe

Thanks for your replies.

I think I was looking for the East River Ferry. I've always read about Water Taxi, and that's where I got confused.

As for the jacket, I'm the man of our party, and while I considered the possibility of being uncomfortable, for some reason I disregarded it. Thank you for bringing it back up!

Thanks,

Mx

5. Re: Alternatives to get to the River Cafe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2013, 10:16