We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

new york city

Level Contributor
209 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
new york city

coming to cooperstown july 21 and we want to come in earlier in the week to see new york city. Where should we drive to that would be close like 1 hr drive or so and be able to take a bus in then a tour around new york. New jersey Philly or somewhere closer in new york we would stay 2 nights at around 80 to 100 a night we are senior citizens. TY

Edited: 03 July 2012, 20:45
Mentioned in this post
York
York
Pennsylvania
New Jersey
New Jersey
United States
Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,228 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: new york city

Are you asking about a 1 hour drive from somewhere in NJ to NYC? I am a little confused about what you exactly mean..:)

You may look at hotels in Secaucus, New Jersey. I believe many of them are on a bus line. It may well take an hour because of traffic. Long Island City might be an (better) option,too

Where are you driving from? South..north..It will make a difference as per what folks recommend for you

I am a senior citizen as well..although not sure why it matters...??

Mentioned in this post
Secaucus
Secaucus
New Jersey
Central Village...
Level Contributor
18,036 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: new york city

Hey, I'm a senior citizen also - got my discount at Dunkin Donuts this morning - and as a senior, for many years I have used punctuation. It's not difficult and makes reading posts much easier; give it a try.

Poppa

Mentioned in this post
Dunkin' Donuts
Dunkin' Donuts
447 Reviews
New York City, NY
Level Contributor
209 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: new york city

Doesnt really matter we are coming in from michigan to cooperstown and were looking for a esay way to get into new york coming in the wed before the 21 and we didnt know if we should drive to philly , new jersey, to get a bus and enter new york from these places we are xonfused so guess it shows never been to new york thought going to cooperstown we should see ne is all

'

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: new york city

Again with the no sentences???

Central Village...
Level Contributor
18,036 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: new york city

ELLENSUE - sentences - it's not that difficult - PLEASE give it a try!

And read your posts before you put them on the Forum - the last 'phrase' of your last posting makes NO SENSE at all.......

Edited: 03 July 2012, 21:33
Central Village...
Level Contributor
18,036 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: new york city

Well seeing you had all my other posts removed I thought I would update on this one you should stay in jersey city and take path into the city each day it is about a 15 minute journey and then you can start your sightseeing not sure you budget is high enough for jc lodging this may have to be adjusted thats just the reality of the situation hope you have had no trouble reading this and if you did que sera sera have fun in the city and let us know how you made out

Central Village...
Level Contributor
18,036 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: new york city

keeping the dream alive

P.S. suggest not using the I'Net at a 4th of July party serving ADULT friendly beverages...............

No dress code - walked over a couple of backyards, no tipping, tolls or tax!

Anyone for a bratwurst? Got some from a local market specializing in German sausages, meats...........

OK have to go - my wife is upset w/me using the 'puter instead of mingling with the neighbors....

Edited: 04 July 2012, 21:45
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: new york city

Hope you had a good one!

Central Village...
Level Contributor
18,036 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: new york city

There were so many people in our neighborhood setting off fireworks - it was unbelievable.

Did watch the Macy's display on TV - however there is no substitute for being there or at any fireworks display - in person.

Going to work at a concert and Independence Day celebration this evening - the show promises to be very good - however nothing could rival the Macy's shoot.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,327 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: new york city

aha - just discovered the perfect compensation for photo columnists! An invite to the roof for fireworks 2013 for 2!

I even baked bread...

Ellensue - I would love to help, but not sure what you're asking. If you're looking for a cheaper place to stay outside of NYC, try Poughkeepsie, or White Plains - or in NJ Jersey City or Hoboken on the PATH train line. You might also be able to find hotels in towns on a NJ Transit line - I doubt you care about staying in the city past midnight - but I dont have any suggestions. We just stayed at the Westfield Inn for an event, and it is a 5 minute walk from the train to NYC (change trains in Newark, but it's easy) but our group rate was $125.

suitcaseready.com

Mentioned in this post
White Plains
White Plains
Westchester County, NY
Jersey City
Jersey City
New Jersey
Hoboken
Hoboken
New Jersey
Newark