We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water Towers on Top of Buildings

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Water Towers on Top of Buildings

I was walking around Central Park and I noticed a handful of buildings had water towers on the roof.

Does anyone have explanation as to why they are there?

Thanks

Woodbury, New York
Level Contributor
1,816 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Water Towers on Top of Buildings

The ones that are on numerous buildings in the city above a few stories high? They are to supply preasurized water supply to those living/working in the buildings!

Ohio
Level Contributor
8,108 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Water Towers on Top of Buildings

I love the water towers! There was a Dirty Jobs episode not too long ago where they repaired one. It was very interesting and can be quite a dangerous job.

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,657 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Water Towers on Top of Buildings

the city cannot pump water beyond a certain height so buildings need their own water towers

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Water Towers on Top of Buildings

The city does not pump water at all. The water supply system in New York City is entirely gravity-driven, and comes down from reservoirs to the north of the city via gravity-driven aqueducts. As (exactly as the old saying goes) water seeks its own level, the gravity-driven system of New York City works well in getting water to the fifth floor or so of buildings built , but above that, the water pressure needs help -- and that help takes the form of water towers,

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Water Towers on Top of Buildings

Don't believe these people====

They are not real --- just part of the movie set that is Manhattan

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cavelossim
Level Contributor
3,984 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Water Towers on Top of Buildings

Your post amused me - I live in London and we have two Victorian water towers in our development (condo). One has been requisitioned by the army for surface to air missiles during the Olympics as we are right next to the Stadium and the water towers apparently, according to the leaflet we got through our doors from the Ministry of Defence, have the best high view in the area!!

Well, back to hunting out this very good forum to find me some budget accommodation ('in New York, you crazy?' I can hear you all saying).

Edited: 08 July 2012, 23:59
Any Beach
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, West Virginia
Level Contributor
8,272 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Water Towers on Top of Buildings

. I've been wondering about those water towers too. Wondering why they are on some buildings..and not others. I've seen them in NYC ads and commercials. They remind me of....Petticoat Junction. LOL

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,791 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Water Towers on Top of Buildings

They're actually on all buildings over five stories, but on some buildings they're housed in an enclosure, and in others they're in full view.

NYC
Level Contributor
1,518 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Water Towers on Top of Buildings

Currently, there's a beautiful interpretation of a water tower atop a building in DUMBO, Brooklyn, near the Manhattan Bridge (viewable from the subway trains crossing over outside on the bridge) by an artist named Tom Fruin...

http://www.tomfruin.com/watertower.html

also another project in the works for spring 2013

http://thewatertankproject.org/

10. Re: Water Towers on Top of Buildings

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 April 2013, 02:35