We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The met

Tacoma, Wa
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
The met

Hi there,

I've heard that museums are free in NYC. Is that correct? I want to go to see the MET, and its website said $25/adult.

Thanks

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
48 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The met

They aren't free in NYC. In Washington, D.C. there are free museums. We got the New York City Pass to go see all the sites, including some museums.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The met

It's pay what you wish but really you should pay the suggested admission price.

Its well worth it - its a FANTASTIC museum

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
449 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The met

Technically they require a donation of however much you want, but if you can afford to go to NYC on holiday, you should be considering paying the suggested price. They need to fund themselves somehow.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The met

and jennibear the ones in Washington are not free they are supported by our taxe.s--- free for you maybe but not us Just because one is dumb enough to get the NYPAss no one else should follow their lead--- the value of the pass re museums is $0.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
192 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The met

Go, pay the required fee, it's fantastic and well worth the money

Stamford...
Level Contributor
840 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The met

I believe the suggested admission price for The Met is less than that of Madame Tussaud's. When you look at it that way, full price at the Met is a bargain.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
697 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The met

The Met is a fantastic museum and well worth the suggested $25 entry fee. If you are anything like me prepare to spend hours in the place.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,584 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The met

The discounts at places like the Met were designed to allow people who couldn't afford to go to go, Generally this meant locals. As already said, you can afford to fly to NYC, stay in a hotel and eat in restaurants. You may be going to a Broadway show spending possibly hundreds for a ticket. Pay the $25. ( and I am a local who ALWAYS pays it! )

Tacoma, Wa
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The met

Thank you. I will for sure go there. I'm just making sure planning ahead for my big family.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
193 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The met

Except for MOMA and The Guggenheim most museums are suggested price. You can give a dollar if you would like. I would suggest 5 dolalrs.

25 dolalrs is a lot of money especially fi you are bringing many people.

The Museums get plenty of funding from the GASP evil corporations and the city/state governments and also membership fees from Locals.

So don't feel guilty if you do not pay the full amount, especially children.

Pay what you feel is reasonable.