We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fashion district

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
635 posts
154 reviews
Save Topic
Fashion district

Could anyone tell me if the port authority bus station is in walking distant

from the fashion district , we are staying at the Hilton

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fashion district

www.googlemaps.com

www.hopstop.com

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
923 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fashion district

Maggie: The bus terminal is at the Western edge of the the Garment District, which is roughly between 34th and 42nd Streets and 5th to 9th Avenues. Best shopping here is if you sew; there are great bead, button and notion shops on 38th and 39th.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fashion district

Note that the garment district is not so much about buying finished garments at retail, but is instead about the PRODUCTION of clothing. You will thus find all sorts of shops that sell fabric, or buttons, or trimmings, or laces, etc. If this is what you are looking for, you will be pleased at the choice; on the other hand, if you are looking for retail stores that sell fashionable clothing at low prices, you will be in the wrong place.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
923 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fashion district

Absolutely, GreenWhite, and I should add that department stores are the best places to find bargains in NYC, even on designer clothing, not the Garment District.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
170 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fashion district

Hi All,

I think they are styaing at the Hilton Fashion District down on 26th and 7th?

This is walkable, but it is a trek from 40/42nd street and 8th ave down to 26th street and 7th,will you have suitcases?

If it was me with suitcases, I would take a cab, but that's me. In my mind comfort sometimes wins out over cash.

If no suitcases, then I'm walking.....

leechie

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,806 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fashion district

To elaborate on what GWB wrote, I walk through the garment district almost daily and most if not all the stores have a sign on the door saying that they are wholesale only and if you want to buy something you'll need a resale license (though I'm sure you can walk in and talk to them). Whether they really enforce this I have no idea.

I have always found the area very interesting but one of the surprises to me was that while there are quite a few showrooms in the garment district, at street level all the show rooms that I've seen are selling at the lower end of the market.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
635 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fashion district

Leechie, yea staying at the Hilton Fashion District we wont have suitcases

we need to get there to get a bus for the outlet shops or is there another way to do it ? thanks everyone

Belfast, United...
Destination Expert
for Belfast
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fashion district

We stayed there a while back. Just walk from the hotel to the subway station at 28th Street and 7th Avenue, take the 1 uptown to Times Square 42nd Street, then walk across to Port Authority. Easy peasy.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
635 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fashion district

Thanks for that BridgetJones.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
923 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fashion district

Maggie: I think a few of us are confused by "Hilton Fashion District." I don't think any NYer knows what that is. We all it the Garment District.

Getting on the 1 train will let you off on 7th Ave. Port Authority is between 8th and 9th. Walk the whole way so you don't have to fight Times Square crowds; it's a 10-minute walk. If you are not up for that, walk to 8th Ave. from your hotel and take the uptown bus on 8th. Then you can avoid Times Square.