We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aussie in NYC TR: Concrete Jungle Where Dreams Are Made Of

Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Aussie in NYC TR: Concrete Jungle Where Dreams Are Made Of

What a wonderful 2 weeks in NYC. Last time I was in NYC was 11 years ago – so much has changed but my love for the city has not disappeared.

My husband and I are in our early 30’s.

Travelling from Sydney to LA (13hrs), 3 days in San Francisco and 4 days in Las Vegas, we were finally in NYC.

Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Aussie in NYC TR: Concrete Jungle Where Dreams Are Made Of

Monday 18 – Hello Big Apple

Checked in at Hotel Mela, was upgraded to a suite with daily vouchers for breakfast next door at Bistro Saju and welcome drinks at the Irish Pub next door – great start!

Headed out to find Shack Shake were we had the best burgers ever, cheese fries and peanut butter milkshakes. I wish they’d open one here in Sydney!

Strolled to Times Square to take in the lights and chaos – such a fantastic energy, can’t believe I was finally here. This was my husbands’ first trip and he was amazed by the sights and sounds before him.

Also purchased the 7 day subway pass at the nearest subway we saw – a great investment. The subway is fantastic; I highly recommend everyone use it. Cheap, fast, convenient, efficient – combined with Google maps on my iPhone I was able to navigate which lines to catch and where to get on/off. We did get confused twice when we caught the downtown train when we wanted the train going uptown, but it was just fine to get off at the next stop and catch the correct one!

Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Aussie in NYC TR: Concrete Jungle Where Dreams Are Made Of

Tuesday 19 – Downtown

A huge breakfast at Bistro Saju to start the day. My sister decided to join us on this trip and already managed to confuse the poor waiter. She had asked for some “sauce” (Ketchup) for her hash brown but the waiter mistakenly thought she asked for some sausages LOL

We did on the day:

* SOL/Ellis Island – Tickets were purchased prior to leaving. Construction was taking place on SOL, tried to take some photos whilst dodging the cranes. Was amazing to see in person

* Financial District – saw Wall St, NY stock exchange, Charging Bull, City Hall and Trinity Church.

Had lunch at Luke’s Lobster – a very tasty but expensive Lobster Roll

* 9/11 memorial – Tickets reserved prior to leaving, what an emotional site. The 2 pools are breathtaking – very sad seeing all the names along the pools.

The last time I was in NYC I actually was able to see the WTC and was on the observation deck… a lot of memories.

After all the walking and sightseeing, we headed back to the hotel for a much needed rest and shower before dinner.

Dinner was at Buddakan – gorgeous, stylish restaurant next to the Chelsea Markets. It was so dark in there LOL, I had difficulties reading the menu. The food was a mix of Asian fusion – was absolutely delicious – great food, great drinks, great night!

We stumbled back to the hotel, our tummies full and content, ready for another day.

Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Aussie in NYC TR: Concrete Jungle Where Dreams Are Made Of

Wednesday 20 – Stinking hot & humid

A trip to B&H – this place is crazy! For any photography/gadget lovers this is a must. Hubby was in heaven looking at his lens and tripods. Me – eating the free candy that was available was enough for me lol

Wow it was starting to get very hot and humid – I can handle hot, but this humidity was awful!

We headed to 5th Ave for some shopping! Yay thank goodness for the aircon in the shops – was a relief as soon as we entered a store.

We made it to Rockefeller Center – wow, would love to see this place in Winter when there is ice skating.

Purchased tickets to Top Of The Rock (with our $2 discount coupons) – what an amazing view. Got excited seeing Central Park and Empire State Building.

Unfortunately the visibility was not 100%, I think it was from the pollution or what not but it was very smoggy up there.

After that headed to the Halal Guys on 53rd and 6th for lunch – chicken plates with rice, salad, lots of special white sauce and chilli. Hmm was so good and so cheap!

Hubby at this point didn’t want to go on shopping, so he headed back to the hotel. My sister and I on the other hand continued our shopping spree.

Unfortunately we had to head back – we went past the Minskoff Theatre to pick up our tickets for The Lion King.

Lion King was good, not great, I enjoyed it but was expecting more. Not sure what it was but I left a bit disappointed.

We went around the corner to Juniors for a late dinner – some buffalo wings and a slice of their cheesecake.

A sweet end to another busy day.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
297 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aussie in NYC TR: Concrete Jungle Where Dreams Are Made Of

Dex sounds like you had a great time, we will be there in about 11 weeks time, last time in NY NY was 96, so I'm expecting big changers.

Like you was on top of the WTC, great pics with the kids, now thats all gone,

building and Kids.

What did you do to get your phone working over there, did you Global roam, or change sim cards.

Thanks again for the post.........Scott.......land of Oz.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,128 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Aussie in NYC TR: Concrete Jungle Where Dreams Are Made Of

Thanks for taking the time to write.

It's a pity you didn't like Lion King. Nothing worse than spending money on a show and leaving unfulfilled.

Selfishly I am glad you wrote about Lion King. My trips to NYC are filled with lots if theatre events but Lion King does nothing for me at all.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
383 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aussie in NYC TR: Concrete Jungle Where Dreams Are Made Of

Great report! Did you get any pics of the Statue of Liberty surrounded by cranes? I wonder when it will be finished. We went in the crown last October.

Glad you had a fab time

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
165 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aussie in NYC TR: Concrete Jungle Where Dreams Are Made Of

Thanks for the JBR, loved reading it. We will be arriving in New York in September, can't wait! Now having second thoughts about booking Lion King, my daughter saw it in London and said it was great, but, different city!

I get so much out of reviews, I think I will be travelling with more notes than clothes!!

Cheers,

Jozz :-)

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aussie in NYC TR: Concrete Jungle Where Dreams Are Made Of

don't be put off by this report Jozz-- Lion King is almost universally loved- I saw it and see a lot of theater and thought it was great--- sometimes people just need to be in the mood for the theater and they are not because of other things going on in their lives--- presumably your daughter knows you and liked it so my guess is you will too-- nothing against the OP but her opinion

is very much the exception here.

Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Aussie in NYC TR: Concrete Jungle Where Dreams Are Made Of

55scott - I was roaming with my Optus sim card but made sure that I switched data roaming off from my phone.

I mostly looked for free wifi spots whenever I could - lots of visits to Starbucks, plus my hotel had free wifi which was handy

Mez3000, jozzperth, bilmin09 - please don't get me wrong I did like the show but I was expecting more... not sure how to describe it.

Must of been my husband raving about it from the Sydney production he saw 10 years ago or so that my expectations were so high. I would still recommend people see it especially if they are Lion King fans as I am.

Groov - the crane was on the side of the statue, was funny trying to get the perfect shot without it been in the way

Greenwich...
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Aussie in NYC TR: Concrete Jungle Where Dreams Are Made Of

Man, do I hate that line about the concrete jungle. It makes absolutely no sense. It makes every English grammar book in the world cry. However, given the genre of that song... can't expect much. ;)

Great TR so far. I love Shake Shack but have never tried the PB milkshakes.