We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting close to the date - more final itenerary...

London, Canada
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Getting close to the date - more final itenerary...

Hi all. I posted my itenerary previously, and not much has changed, but now that the date is quickly approaching, I thought I'd post it again and maybe get some suggestions for food, etc. We will arrive in NYC around 7am via overnight bus on Monday, August 13th. We leave, again by bus, at 8:30pm on Saturday, August 18th. We are in our late-20s and will be on our honeymoon. We are very low-key - non-drinkers, non-partiers, and generally avoiders of overly social situations. We will be staying at St. Giles - The Court in Murray Hill. We plan to buy the 7-day unlimited subway pass for transportation.

Here's the plan so far, although I'm trying to keep it as flexible as possible so that we can see how we feel and work with the weather a bit!

Monday: This day, particularly, is play-it-by ear, especially in the afternoon, as I have no idea how we'll be feeling after a night on the bus. I don't want to waste a whole day, but I also don't want to burn out before the trip even begins!

- Arrive ~7am, drop off bags at hotel (emailed to check that this was possible), find breakfast

- 10am - Circle Line 3 hour full-island cruise (figure we'll be tired and this would be a good way of getting an overview of NYC without sitting on another bus for hours)

- 1pm - Intrepid Air and Space Museum

- 3:30 - Check-in to hotel, perhaps take a nap

- 7:30ish - Find dinner around hotel area or on way up to Times Square (suggestions? I've been warned of the dreadfulness of eating in Times Square)

- 9:30-ish - Early night in at the hotel, since we have a fairly early start in the AM

Tuesday

- 8am - quick breakfast and head down to battery park - timed ticket for SOL/Ellis Island for 9am ferry

- Plan to be back at Battery park by 1 so that we have some time for lunch (suggestions?) and Wall Street before 9/11 Memorial reservation at 3pm

- I'm thinking of a Broadway show this day, although we haven't booked anything yet. I like the idea of the show on this day, because it's really the only other "must book ahead" event, which means the rest of our time in NYC will be more flexible) - my fiance is not much of a musical guy, but I've had the suggestions of War Horse and Jersey Boys, which he may not hate (honestly, Broadway is for me...lots of things on the trip are for him or us, but he can suck up the Broadway for a couple hours)

- I think timing-wise, it would be better to do dinner after the show, even though it will be fairly late...suggestions?

Wednesday (again, W/TH/F are all interchangeable based on how we feel and what the weather is like - although this configuration is probably my preference)

- 9:30am - The MET (just a couple of hours, probably)

- 12:00pm-ish - Central Park (including the zoo)

- If we have time, we may try to get to the Museum of the City of New York, but it's not a huge priority (I'd rather give Central Park the time it deserves)

- Sunset - Top of the Rock

Thursday

- 10am - American Museum of Natural History

- later in the day - High Line, Chelsea Market, Greenwich Village

- possibility of the Comedy Cellar at 8pm on this day - but I don't plan on booking anything too far ahead of time (again, for flexiblity's sake), so we'll see how that goes

- I'm thinking this will be a good day to do the Empire State Building (yes, I want to do both - no idea if I'll ever get back to NYC) at night, especially if we do end up going to the Comedy Cellar.

Friday - Brooklyn/Coney Island Day!

- We'll take the subway down to Coney Island. We may stop at the New York Transit Museum on our way and then carry on to the New York Aquarium. We'll spend a couple hours (maybe?) there, and then maybe have a hot dog at Nathan's, ride a ride or two, and see the sideshow.

- Sunset - We'll take the subway back up to the Brooklyn side of the bridge and walk across the bridge

- We'll likely have dinner on the Manhattan side of the bridge, somewhere between there and our hotel. Suggestions?

Saturday

11:45am - We have tickets booked for Kenny Kramer's Seinfeld tour, which will go until about 3:30 (fiance is a fan...I know it's cheesy, but since we won't be able to see Jimmy Fallon while we're there, this is his consolation prize).

3:30 - We'll have a couple of hours before we have to get back to the hotel to pick up our bags and then head to Port Authority Bus Terminal, so I figure we'll do a bit of wondering, maybe head over to Chinatown, or re-vist somewhere we didn't get to spend enough time.

7:45 - Arrive at bus terminal for 8:30 departure.

So, there it is. My goal was not to jam it so full that we'd wear ourselves out or wouldn't have time to explore, but to plan enough so that we wouldn't wander aimlessly and end up eating at McDonald's. Speaking of which, suggestions for food/places to eat would be great. I don't expect that we'll be doing a lot of fine-dining on this trip - probably more diner/pub/food truck/pizza-type of cuisine. Perhaps a nicer sit-down dinner would be a good idea one night...just don't know which night!

Also, has anyone done the NBC Studio Tour by just going and taking the next available tour, rather than reserving tickets ahead of time? It's one thing we've discussed doing, but I'm not sure where to put it, and it might be nice just to play-it-by-ear and head in if we're in the area.

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting close to the date - more final itenerary...

Restaurants near Times Square - without knowing your budget or what type of food you like: Da Marino on 49th is one of our favorites. We also love John's Pizza!

http://www.damarinotimesquare.com/

http://www.johnspizzerianyc.com/index2.htm

Broadway Shows for your husband - my husband loved Jersey Boys and Rock of Ages

Also, we've been to the Comedy Cellar several times and always had a good time there. I hope you have a great trip! :O)

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,952 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting close to the date - more final itenerary...

Tuesday night is an early 7:00 PM show night -- if you haven't bought tickets in advance - go to the South Street Seaport while you are killing time down there - the TKTS booth opens at 11 and doesn't have the lines

thestarryeye.typepad.com/explorenyc

London, Canada
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting close to the date - more final itenerary...

Thanks ksoldati.

Budget - Fairly cheap. Maybe ~$10/person for lunch, ~$20/person for dinner (a regular dinner, not if we decide to do a nicer sit-down restaurant one night - in which case, we'd want nice, not overly pricey - I think $40/person would be our max for such a night).

Food preferences: Ummm...I'm kind of picky - or, I guess, just not very adventurous with my food choices (I'm the type of person who always orders the same thing off the menu - not because there's nothing else I would eat, but because I like what I like). I don't like fish or anything overly spicy. I like to recognize my food - nothing too fancy or exotic. I'm happy to eat traditional American dishes (burgers, steak, chicken, sandwiches, fries, mashed potatoes, etc.), Chinese, Italian(pizza/pasta), Mexican (again, as long as it's available in the non-spicy variety), Greek, or Thai. Honestly, I have no idea what kind of food-mood we'll be in on any given day, so any suggestions of "good-eats" around where we'll be are helpful - I'll write them down and we'll see how we feel while when the time comes!

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting close to the date - more final itenerary...

There's so many restaurants in Manhattan; it's hard to know where to start. :o) If you end up at the Comedy Cellar, there is a restaurant there called Olive Tree Cafe. It's really good, and if I remember correctly, it should work with your budget.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting close to the date - more final itenerary...

OK, I just booked Jersey Boys tickets for the Tuesday night at 7pm. It seemed like a good compromise. I've only heard great things.

Texas
Level Contributor
259 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting close to the date - more final itenerary...

Jersey Boys is totally awesome. Try eating at Junior's one night. Their cheesecake is the BEST!!!!

Best wishes for a wonderful honeymoon. Your itinerary looks like you will have a great experience in NYC.

Mid Florida, Florida
Level Contributor
32 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting close to the date - more final itenerary...

Love the itinerary...

I will be visiting New York for the first time in October. Please post about your experiences when you get back; I would love to read about your trip.

Have a great time.

8. Re: Getting close to the date - more final itenerary...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2013, 05:47