We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Implications for accommodation from NY marathon in Nov

Australia
Level Contributor
807 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Implications for accommodation from NY marathon in Nov

Does the marathon cause (major) room shortages in the few days prior?

Trying to get a feel whether or not to defer trip until after the event.

Thanks for any thoughts.

melbourne
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Implications for accommodation from NY marathon in Nov

defer until afterwards. I have been looking at staying that week and prices for rooms are horrendous. they are just so expensive.

if you look at about 2 weeks later pricess come down.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Implications for accommodation from NY marathon in Nov

What the marathon creates is not a shortage, but extra demand with no increase in supply -- and it is a basic principle of economics that price is a function of supply and demand.

Australia
Level Contributor
807 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Implications for accommodation from NY marathon in Nov

"......What the marathon creates is not a shortage, but extra demand with no increase in supply -- and it is a basic principle of economics that price is a function of supply and demand........"

So how it is likely to affect room availability over and above normal vacancy rates? - Are hotel rooms likely to be noticeably scarcer around marathon time. As a non-resident of the US I have no idea now many extra out of town marathoners are coming to stay.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Implications for accommodation from NY marathon in Nov

I guess I have to put it in simpler terms. Try this: you can indeed get a room -- but you will pay through the nose for it.

I mean, you do understand that the same price is not charged for the same room every day of the year, right?

Edited: 13 July 2012, 05:03
Australia
Level Contributor
807 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Implications for accommodation from NY marathon in Nov

Yes I am aware that prices vary during the year for whatever reason.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Implications for accommodation from NY marathon in Nov

Well, you keep raising the price to the point where demand just begins to slack off -- thus maximizing your profit. Just as price is a function of supply and demand, demand can also be tied to supply and price. If it cost no more to go to Paris than it did to go to Coney Island, a lot more people would go to Paris -- but it doesn't. While those who must be ehre for the Marathon are stuck, travellers who are not tied to coming during that week have a choice. Not everyone will want to pay $500 for the same room that was available in February for $180, but if you have the cash and the desire, go right ahead and book your room, because it will be there -- it will just cost a lot.

Edited: 13 July 2012, 05:39
melbourne
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Implications for accommodation from NY marathon in Nov

there are so many hotels in NYC that you will have no problem getting a room.

you many not get your first choice hotel, but you will get a room. and in a really good hotel.

prices are super high and as GreenWhiteBlue said that same room will come down by close to half the price a few weeks later.

I have found that the week before the marathon and the week after are also expensive as people tend to stay a while.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Implications for accommodation from NY marathon in Nov

You will have no problem getting a room ??? Oh Millie you are so wrong--- you may not have a problem booking now but as you get close you will definitely have a problem--- I suppose if you want to count the presidential suite in one of the major hotels as available then you would be right but for mere mortals even with an extended budget rooms are tough to get.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4,095 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Implications for accommodation from NY marathon in Nov

I was there for the marathon last year (didn't run but supported some friends who did.) We didn't know we were going until a month out and found a relatively cheap place to stay in Brooklyn so it can be done, everything in Manhattan was $300 at night plus by that time.

It will also cause some disruptions with its closures the day of, public transportation will be crowded and cabs harder to find. It might be harder to get to where you're going for that entire day.

It will also make things more crowded. 47000 ran in last year's marathon, not to mention the family and friends who come with them. NYC is big, but I'm guessing that an extra 100000 or people or so (on top of the regular tourist trade) does make an impact on things. For the whole afternoon/evening after the marathon ended, everywhere we went we saw people associated with it. I thought it was kind of cool since I was there for it, you might not feel this way if you're trying to do your own thing around it. My suggestion is pick another time to come.

10. Re: Implications for accommodation from NY marathon in Nov

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2013, 05:17