We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When to visit tourist places

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
287 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
When to visit tourist places

Hi,

My partner and I are travelling to NY on 1st August for 4 days. Trying to plan our trip at the moment and it ocurred to me that some places may not have visitors on certain days, I could have sworn I read it in a past forum post but can't find it again.

In terms of Ground zero, 9/11 memorial/museum (am I right in thinking these are seperate things- the museum being further away?), ESB, Rockefeller Center, Staten Island Ferry, are there any days you can't visit these? I'll be there from a Wednesday-Saturday.

Thank you for any help.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When to visit tourist places

Please DONT go the the "Ground Zero Museum Workshop".

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
287 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When to visit tourist places

Why not?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When to visit tourist places

It is very much not recommended on this forum

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
287 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When to visit tourist places

Is this the museum that's not next to ground zero?

5. Re: When to visit tourist places

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 13 July 2012, 14:10
Greenwich...
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When to visit tourist places

It is not. Ground Zero Museum Workshop is run by a swindler who is attempting to profit from the profound loss of life on 9/11.

www.chiefly.org/2010/10/09/gary-marlon-suson/

What you want is the 9/11 Memorial, which is free, but requires an entry pass.

http://www.911memorial.org/

Belfast, United...
Destination Expert
for Belfast
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: When to visit tourist places

Here are a couple of (many) previous threads about the Ground Zero Museum Workshop (the one to avoid):

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k4346231…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k5477816…

Of the things you mention I don't know offhand of any days you cannot do any of those things, but the best way to check is to look on their official websites for the opening times. Also with the 9/11 Memorial (the official one) you should book your free tickets online in advance if you can.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
287 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: When to visit tourist places

I've been on the memorial site and it's not actually free because you can't order a free pass without making a donation? I would have rathered making a donation when I'm there, not putting my card details in over the internet. Is there a way around this?

Greenwich...
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: When to visit tourist places

The donation is not required.

10. Re: When to visit tourist places

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2013, 05:45