We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Service route warning

preston
Level Contributor
134 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Car Service route warning

Just a quick warning to any first time visitors to New York. I had my fourth visit to the city in June which was amazing but had a slight issue with the route taken by dial 7 drivers on both the way there and the way back.

On both journeys the two separate drivers took a toll free route over the Queensboro Bridge but tried to charge me the extra.

On the first journey, I had the amount with toll included ready as this was the only route I had ever been taken by but when I noticed he had taken the toll free way I took that amount out. The driver counted the money in front of me and said 'you haven't paid the toll' so I replied 'you didn't take a toll route'. He looked sheepish and mumbled not to worry, clearly knowing I had caught him out but because I felt bad and just on the slight chance I had missed it, I gave him the extra anyway.

On the way back, the driver took the exact same route and again, no toll. I didn't mention it but just paid the extra again being very tired and not wanting an argument.

Anyway just a warning to people who are not familiar with the different routes, it is only $6 or so but it is the principle of someone lying to you!

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
Queensboro Bridge
Queensboro Bridge
229 Reviews
New York City, NY
Stowmarket
Level Contributor
107 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Service route warning

The matter regarding transport from JFK (or other airports) is a regular topic on the forum.

On our first visit we elected to make an advance purchase of a shuttle trip. I know that many contributors 'shun' the shuttles for various reasons. We were visiting tourists and the issue of getting to hotel by the fastest means was not important. Having said that we were collected at Newark within minutes of calling the service and although we were not the first 'drop' we were delivered to hotel within 90 minutes of making the call at the airport.

We are due another visit in September and had thoughts of using Dial 7, may now have second thoughts and use the shuttle service again as the fee paid is fixed and only a 'tip' is needed.

As visitors we do not need the uncertaintity regarding fares, and then pay additions irrespectivly as did 'angelcake375'.

Regards,

Peter C

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,321 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Service route warning

It is definitely not acceptable for them to attempt to charge for a non-existant toll. However, I am confused why you didn't call him on the return trip. It should not have resulted in an argument. It seems like a no-braner.

I also hope you contacted the company after the first driver tried to play games. Dial 7 is a large reputable company. Unfortunately, they can't have eyes and ears in every vehicle watching every driver. When something like this happens, it is your responsibility ( and yes I used that word deliberately) to help your fellow travelers and let the company know. Same as we help travelers on TA, your calling the company is doing your own helping. ( even better than posting a warning)

Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,266 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Service route warning

I was wondering the same thing...if it was reported or not... I think it should have. Plus i would never have given the extra money either. But thanks for posting it here as a warning. I will still use them when we come in August but now i will be more watchful.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,174 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Service route warning

Are you sure it was a toll free route, and not just that the toll was collected electronically without you noticing?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Service route warning

Ive never had dial7 try to pull anything on me

I think what BB says makes a great deal of sense

preston
Level Contributor
134 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Service route warning

I thought that BB and that is why I paid it, however, his reaction when I called him on it and the fact that I mapped the route when I got home made me think that my original assumption was correct.

I also watched out for it on the way back and still didn't notice anything.

Edited: 15 July 2012, 21:03
preston
Level Contributor
134 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Service route warning

To Peter C - I would not let it stop you from using the company altogether as I have had no issues with them in the past.

Just make sure you know which route is being taken would be my advice.

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
12,201 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Service route warning

Alot of companies based in manhattan will charge the toll to the airport and back even thought theey will probably have another fare from the airport to manhattan

Texas
Level Contributor
259 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Service route warning

When I booked Dial 7 prior to leaving home, the reservation agent told me the price on the phone. She mentioned that since I was traveling from JFK to Long Island City, there would be no tolls. I would just need to pay the fare plus tip.

My suggestion is to clarify your route when you make the reservation. Just ask the reservation agent if you will be on any toll roads. I told her I wanted the "drive-out" price, and I would calculate the tip. Also, you can find Dial 7 coupons via Google before you call to make the reservation. Just tell the reservation agent the coupon code, and he/she will calculate fare less the coupon amount.

We used Dial 7 to and from the airport, and both times we were satisfied with their service.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,321 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Service route warning

txjeffrey--to get from JFK to Long Island City there is NO OPTION of a toll road! To get from JFK to Manhattan if you take the Midtown Tunnel there is a toll. ( only tunnel, no brainer to know you used it) If you take the 59th Street Bridge, the Brooklyn Manhattan or Williamsburg Bridges ( only good for lower Manhattan), there are no tolls. If you take the Triboro Bridge ( or RFK is its' new name) there is a toll. Note: the RFK is only good for the Upper East Side.

ALTHOUGH--in a flat car service they may take what appears to be a circular route if they know of a special traffic problem on the direct route.