We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Hilton should I choose

uk
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Topic
Which Hilton should I choose

Planning a visit to New York using Hilton points and would appreciate any views on what is the best quality hilton in the city.

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
147 Reviews
from US$175.00*
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...
1,170 Reviews
from US$57.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
1,058 Reviews
from US$83.99*
NYC Empire State Observatory...
2,418 Reviews
from US$37.00*
Manhattan
Level Contributor
9,246 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Hilton should I choose

The Hilton on 54th and 6th is the largest in the city. It is a business hotel.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Hilton should I choose

do you mean full service Hilton or Hilton family of hotels. People judge "best quality" in a number of ways--- I like the full service hotels but I am not a big fan of the HILTON ztaks mentions-- I lived there for about 6 weeks when moving a company down here to the city. I always found that one like a bus station with the comings and goings.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
4,355 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Hilton should I choose

The Hilton Garden Inn on 8th Ave is excellent. The service was so friendly and the rooms were very clean and comfortable. I've stayed twice and I'd love to go back again.

uk
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Hilton should I choose

Thank you all for your replies. I have been reading reviews here and see that the new york hilton mentioned by ztaks gets mixed reviews. I would normally avoid staying inTimes Square but the hilton located there is popular.

Is the Millenium a better standard and worth considering despite being a bit less central.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,461 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Hilton should I choose

I'd pick among the Hilton Times Square, the Hilton Garden Inn Times Square that spap mentions and the Hilton Fashion District. The Millenium Hilton is all the way downtown in the financial district and not convenient for a typical tourist visit. A lot of the decision may ride on how many you are and your plans.

Mentioned in this post
Hilton Garden Inn Times Square
Hilton Garden Inn Times...
7,639 Reviews
New York City, NY
Manhattan
Level Contributor
9,246 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Hilton should I choose

Points are points - enjoy them. Am not a fan of the TS Hilton since they removed the Tom Otterness sculptures on the clock. As a tourist you don't need a business hotel although the chances for upgrade probably increase.

uk
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Hilton should I choose

Thanks nywhiz. My husband and I, in our fiftys who love to wander around the city and take in the atmosphere that is New York. No specific itinerary other than some broadway shows in the evenings.

We have benefited from your advice in the past (loved Balthazar's) and that of the many other contributers here.

All the help is appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
New York
New York
United States
uk
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Hilton should I choose

Thanks ztaks, we are applying austerity measures to this trip and it seems to make sense using points.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,461 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Hilton should I choose

The Hilton Fashion District is newish and has a nice rooftop bar. It's near the Highline. The Doubletree Guest Suites in Times Square is another option as is the Waldorf Astoria and the new Conrad which is all the way downtown also in the financial district. For Broadway shows, the Hilton Times Square is really the best location followed by the Hilton Garden Inn TS.

Here's a similar question from another forum (before the Conrad opened)

flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hhonors/1105540-b…

Oyster.com

should have photos of most of these hotels.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,461 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Hilton should I choose

edit:

For Broadway shows, the Doubletree Guest Suites or the Hilton Times Square are the best followed by the Hilton Garden Inn TS if it's substantially less points.