We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for first-timer

Singapore
Level Contributor
35 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Advice for first-timer

I'm re-posting my questions here as I was told I had wrongly posted it earlier in the New York Forum:-

It will be our (hubby & I) first trip to New York & its to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. Our general idea is to spend a couple of days in NYC, a couple in Washington DC and about 3 days in Boston. We have 12 days in total.

My husband's interest are mainly military, history and books and I like to visit interesting districts/places and actually smaller towns. Because of my desire to visit smaller towns, we are thinking of renting a car for either NYC to Washington DC or NYC to Boston and taking the train for trip that we did't choose to drive.

Is the above do-able and which would afford a better driving experience in terms of ease of drive as well as interesting stops/towns in between. The other option is merely to do day trips from NYC or Washington but the drawback is the horrendous overnight parking fees charged by most hotels.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,611 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for first-timer

Boston and DC are smaller than NYC but they are still large cities, not small towns.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,291 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for first-timer

She wants to visit small towns on the way to Boston or DC.

New York City
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for first-timer

"My husband's interest are mainly military, history"

While you are here in NYC, add a visit to Green-wood cemetery to your list.

The place is rich in history and have plenty of war graves. It amazing to come Civil War graves to find the die in battle, the battle they died or from natural causes.

http://www.green-wood.com/

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
10,116 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for first-timer

Drive up the Hudson from NYC--there are lots of interesting historical spots: West Point, Washington's Headquarters, Olana, Manitoga, Martin Van Buren's Home, the Roosevelt sites in Hyde Park, Kykuit, Washington Irving's Sunnyside, etc, etc.

Boston
Level Contributor
24,481 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for first-timer

The history of Boston plays a central role in American history. In 1630, Puritan colonists from England founded the town, which quickly became the political, commercial, financial, religious and educational center of the New England region. The American Revolution erupted in Boston

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Boston

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice for first-timer

The revolutionary war played through Prospect Park in Brooklyn. The Battle of Brooklyn was essentially fought in and around the Old Stone House which is located in Park Slope at 5th Ave and 3rd Street. There is a nice little museum in the House. In addition, the Park Slope neighborhood has the feel of a small town. Of course, one with great shops, pubs and restaurants.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
257 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice for first-timer

You might also like a visit to Ellis island while in NYC. Try checking out my pics and maps of our trip last year for some idea of what you see in the different neighborhoods. I will be posting this year's trip by the end of August.

Cyndi

http://www.galatitravel.com/New_York.html

8. Re: Advice for first-timer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2013, 06:15