We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pre Theatre restaurant choice -Carmine's Midtown or Pomaire

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
163 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Pre Theatre restaurant choice -Carmine's Midtown or Pomaire

I am looking to book a mid week pre-theatre dinner reservation for our upcoming trip this August. We will be seeing Mary Poppins and are considering Carmine's in TS or Pomaire on 371 West 46th Street. We are a party of three with an 8 year old boy. Any thoughts or suggestions on these or alternative options would be greatly appreciated. Also not sure what time to book the reservation for. I was thinking around 5 - 5:30 to give us enough time to have a nice meal and make it to the theatre in time for the 8pm show. Thank you in advance for all your help.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
9,005 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pre Theatre restaurant choice -Carmine's Midtown or Pomaire

Pomaire is a wonderful Chilean restaurant where you might find more than a few locals in the room. Carmine's is fine if you want huge portions - do share - and lots of noise and people who have heard about it from their friends who visited NYC. I actually enjoy carmines uptown when going out as a big group.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,455 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pre Theatre restaurant choice -Carmine's Midtown or Pomaire

Neither sounds ideal to me. I had a bad experience at Pomaire some years ago and wouldn't go back (they had a prix fixe dinner on their website but when we got there said they no longer had it and were incredibly ungracious). Carmine's as ztaks says serves huge portions meant to be shared. I think you need at least 4 adults to eat there. There are hundreds of options in the area. If you want Italian, Trattoria Trecolori, Etc. Etc., John's Pizzeria. If you want something a bit different, look at Akdeniz for Turkish.

http://www.menupages.com/restaurants/akdeniz/

For an 8 pm show, 5:30-6 pm should be fine. Let them know when you sit down you're going to a show.

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pre Theatre restaurant choice -Carmine's Midtown or Pomaire

I would pick Trattoria Trecolori or John's over Carmine's. Another option depending on your budget is Da Marino. :O)

http://www.damarinotimesquare.com/

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
163 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pre Theatre restaurant choice -Carmine's Midtown or Pomaire

Thank you everyone for the feedback. I was thinking about John's Pizza but we will be visiting Brooklyn the following day and had planned to have pizza for lunch. I fell across Pomaire by fluke and thought it might be fun as my husband if from Chile. I will definitely look at the additional suggestions as well. Thanks again for your feedback it is always appreciated.

5. Re: Pre Theatre restaurant choice -Carmine's Midtown or Pomaire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2013, 06:17