We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice & suggestions.. first time to NYC...

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Advice & suggestions.. first time to NYC...

Hi

Ive just booked a 4 night break to NY staying at Hampton Inn TS North, with my husband and two boys (aged 2 & 11). We fly in August (me and the boys) meeting my husband there (as he's in that area for work).

Having never been before we were wondering what we should incorporate into our break, we land around 2pm, and fly out at 7.30pm 4 nights later. The boys have no idea we are flying out (until we get to London Heathrow). We have cars arranged via husbands work to and from airport.

On the list so far:

Central Park (also horse arriage ride)

Empire State Building (is it best to book in advance?)

9/11

Shopping

Further idea's would be much appreciated (ive only just started looking)

We would also love some recommendations for restaurants that are family friendly.

Any further help of any kind really appreciated.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,121 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice & suggestions.. first time to NYC...

You need to get a guidebook - and, a map. It will help you decide a plan for you and your family based on your interests. There are many options of how to spend your time - using the forum here is one tool, but a guidebook is pretty essential so you know of the nearly countless choices.

You need to reserve the 9/11 Memorial - it is free, but you do need to reserve.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,377 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice & suggestions.. first time to NYC...

A guidebook is a good idea. In the meantime, check the Top Questions section for lots of ideas about things to do, trip reports, sample itineraries. You can start thinking about which things interest you. It's to the right of the page if you're not on a smartphone app.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,863 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice & suggestions.. first time to NYC...

Skip the carriage ride and take your kids to the zoo instead. Kindly talk with your older child about 9/11 before taking him to the memorial. There is good educational info at 911memorial.org

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,083 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice & suggestions.. first time to NYC...

Agree with skip the carriage ride. I always feel so sorry for the horses, breathing in all that exhaust and it's not a good way to actually see the park, regardless

New York, New York
Level Contributor
7,283 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice & suggestions.. first time to NYC...

You haven't told us any of your likes/dislikes or preferences, so it's hard to make suggestions that would be responsive. Nevertheless, one place I recommend always to everyone is the Metropolitan Museum of Art. It is a world class museum, on a level with the Louvre and the British Museum. It contains art from practically every known culture in the world from antiquity to modern times, and there is certainly something each one of you will enjoy there. Kids usually like the Egyptian collections, and boys, the Arms and Armor (including that of knights European and Asian). The Museum abuts Central Park, so you could combine the two.

Re restaurants -- there are over 20,000 restaurants in New York City. To best help, we would need budget and preferences.

Edited: 18 July 2012, 19:12
Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,863 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice & suggestions.. first time to NYC...

Get your view of the Empire State Building from Top of the Rock - the daytime view includes Central Park and your kids aren't going to be up for a night time view anyway.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
95 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice & suggestions.. first time to NYC...

I don't have kids (but am a big kid myself), but here are some things I think kids would enjoy...

I bet your kids would absolutely love a trip to Toys R Us in Times Square to shop and have a ride on the Ferries Wheel. If so, they'd also love FAO Schwartz, where they can play on the giant piano.

Another cool place for them to visit might be the American Museum of Natural History, where they could learn about some American History, while spending time looking at some of the cool exhibits, such as the dinosaur skeleton?

Steph.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice & suggestions.. first time to NYC...

I agree that with kids, you would do much better by going to Top of the Rock rather than the Empire State Building. The wait in the WSB can be horrible and uncomfortable, with lines snaking through hallways, while even if you have to wait at TotR, it will nto be as long, and the waiting area is much nicer -- an there is far more room at the top.

You don't say when youa re coming, but if it is still summer, you might like to go to the beach at Coney Island for the day. I don't think you have broad sandy barrier-island ocean beaches like this in England, and you also have the rides and the boardwalk and the Aquarium at hand.

Edited: 19 July 2012, 00:06
Hartselle, Alabama...
Level Contributor
23 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice & suggestions.. first time to NYC...

If your boys like dinosaurs and animals, I would suggest a stop into the Museum of Natural History. The whale is a sight to behold!! And it will be hot in August....you can ride the subway straight to the museum and enter through the lower level...never have to exit the building!

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice & suggestions.. first time to NYC...

Many thanks for all the replies, sadly TA hadn't sent me email notifications stating their had been replies.

We are departing the uk Aug 16th and spending 4 nights in NY

We don't really have any budgets in mind for restaurants, nor for any sight seeing, I'm not sure you can really!

Natural history museum, the zoo sounds and toy stores all are a must, I think the boys would enjoy it all of those.

We are pretty open minded to most suggestions, we do appreciate there is a vast amount to do in NY.

We were looking at bus tours also but there are so many we just haven't a clue how to choose!

Again thank you to all who replied :)