We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reasonable priced hotel VERY close to Penn Station for 4

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Reasonable priced hotel VERY close to Penn Station for 4

We are a family of 4, staying one night, sept 25th. We have an early train from Penn Station to DC on sept 26, and would like to not have a long walk/taxi ride with all of our luggage.

Hotel Affinia was suggested, but I"d love some more recommendations. Our budget is around 150.00 or so.

kind regards

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
133 reviews
from US$175.00*
Special Offer
New York City Big Apple Helicopter...
1,101 reviews
from US$199.00*
US$214.00
New York in One Day Guided...
972 reviews
from US$83.99*
Empire State Building Tickets...
2,374 reviews
from US$36.00*
Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Reasonable priced hotel VERY close to Penn Station for 4

I don't think your budget is realistic. You might want to try Hotwire or Last Minute Travel. Whatever you do, don't stay at the Hotel Carter.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Reasonable priced hotel VERY close to Penn Station for 4

I can bump the budget up, that was just a ballpark. Thank you for the advice on what to avoid....

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4,429 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reasonable priced hotel VERY close to Penn Station for 4

Yikes! I think you're coming at an expensive time of year, and wanting walking proximity to Penn is going to cost you. I just did a quick search on Choicehotels.com and their two closest to Penn would be in the $400 range for two beds/one room (and they're usually fairly cheap.) I second the idea of trying Priceline, Hotwire, etc closer to time, or consider moving further away from the train station and figuring the extra travel time/hassle to save money.

If you're planning on doing some sightseeing on your brief stay it might be worth it to stay closer to the station to give you more time, but if you're just looking for a place to sleep for the night, I'd look to LIC near a subway stop.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Reasonable priced hotel VERY close to Penn Station for 4

Hmmm, may need to reformulate my plan. I need to firm up a booking, and don't like the idea of not knowing exactly what I'm getting by bidding Priceline etc.

I was thinking staying near the station would decrease the lugging around of luggage and kids in the morning of our departure. I guess I'll just book something and take a cab (or two with all our stuff) to the station.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Reasonable priced hotel VERY close to Penn Station for 4

I don't think bidding Priceline would work since they only guarantee a king for 2 ppl (unless they changed their policy).

Birmingham, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,865 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reasonable priced hotel VERY close to Penn Station for 4

Just curious, since you don't live in NYC, why not go straight to DC from where you live instead of stopping in NYC for the night? Missing pieces to the puzzle might help get better suggestions. For example, if you are arriving in NYC on the 25th, where are you coming from and how are you getting there? If you are already in NYC and just going on to DC after visiting NYC, why not just stay where you already are and get a car service or taxi to Penn Station?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
100,469 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reasonable priced hotel VERY close to Penn Station for 4

$150/night for any room in Manhattan at that time of year is totally ridiculous but especially so for a room for 4. Where did you get the idea you could get a room for that price? Even budget hotels like the La Quinta and the New York Manhattan are well over $300/night just for 2. Priceline as not possible as they will only guarantee a room for 2. Where are you coming from? The only thing I see even close to that is the Quality Inn in Long Island City with 2 double beds for $160/night plus tax.

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reasonable priced hotel VERY close to Penn Station for 4

Okay on Quikbook:

Windsor Hotel - $ 225

Best Western in Chelsea $ 229

La Quinta $ 297

I've never stayed at any of these so you would need to check the reviews on them, but for one night I'm not sure it matters so much. :)

www.quikbook.com

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4,429 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reasonable priced hotel VERY close to Penn Station for 4

I saw the same Quality Inn offer that NYWhiz mentioned. I've stayed there and you could be at Penn via subway within 20-30 minutes tops. Could either take the N train from the 39th Ave station closest to the hotel and transfer once at Times Square to one of several lines that head to Penn, or better yet walk an extra block to the Queens Plaza station and take the E train straight to Penn.

I have stayed at the hotel before and it's fine. Not much in the neighborhood but safe and convenient. I took the E train route mentioned above to Penn enroute to the Newark airport, you will have to do a bit of luggage schlepping but not much.

London, United...
Level Contributor
91 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Reasonable priced hotel VERY close to Penn Station for 4

I'm staying in the Newyorker Hotel which is right near Penn station, I fly out 1st October for 4 nights, it's a very expensive time to go! Me and my partner are going and have paid £489 each so just under a thousand pounds and this is one of the cheaper deals we could find! Good Luck!!!!