We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Friends...

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
121 posts
23 reviews
Friends...

Hi everyone

As my daughter is mad about 'Friends' can anyone tell me if there are any places to visit, while we are over, where the programme was filmed ?

Best Seller
New York in One Day Guided...
1,292 Reviews
from US$89.99*
Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
149 Reviews
from US$175.00*
Best Seller
NYC One World Observatory...
555 Reviews
from US$34.00*
Sunderland, United...
Destination Expert
for Sunderland
Level Contributor
6,825 posts
52 reviews
1. Re: Friends...

If you wander around Greenwich Village you'll see lots of familiar sights, and the building they used for the exterior shots of the coffee shop and apartments is on the corner of Grove and Bedford Streets, again in Greenwich Village.

New York City
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
12 reviews
2. Re: Friends...

Just a note, the show was actually filmed in LA so the fountain is there, not here in NYC.

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
121 posts
23 reviews
3. Re: Friends...

...thanks both.... ;0)

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
948 posts
4. Re: Friends...

They point out a couple of 'Friends' exterior shots on the Manhattan TV and Movie Location tour, which is pretty good.

However, if you'd prefer to track down the locations yourselves...

There's the apartment building on the corner of Grove and Bedford that Daisiegee has already mentioned, but diagonally opposite (I think) at 12-21 Grove St is the apartment building where Ugly Naked Guy (and later Ross) lived.

Washington Square Park (and Washington Square Arch)in Greenwich Village was a common exterior shot.

Bloomingdale's (1000 Third Ave)is an obvious one - was supposed to have been Rachel's workplace.

Ditto the American Museum of Natural History (Central Park West at 79th St) - was where Ross worked as a paleontologist.

The Moondance Diner (6th Avenue and Canal St)was where Monica worked as a waitress when she had to dress up 50s-style.

The Lucille Lortel theatre on Christopher St (between Bleecker and Hudson Sts) is the place they showed when Joey was performing in plays.

On West 58th Street is the Solow Building, which was Chandler's office building. You can get a good view of it from Grand Army Plaza, where you'll also see the Pulitzer Fountain, which was the inspiration for the title sequence on "Friends". Apparently, they tried filming the title sequence here, but the fountain was too big and dwarfed the actors, so they re-filmed it with a smaller fountain in LA).

And if your daughter is looking for the "Central Perk" experience, I've read a couple of times here that the DownTown UpTown Cafe Lounge is supposed to be a reasonably good approximation, although sadly I haven't been myself to try it out!

Their website is:

http://www.dtut.com/index2.html

Think that should be enough to get you started! ;o)

Wyboston, United...
Level Contributor
332 posts
48 reviews
5. Re: Friends...

they also point out things on the downtown loop of the hop on hop off bus, they showed us both the hospitals where the triplets and emma was supposed to have been born but as previously stated it wasnt filmed in new york only the outsides of the buildings

New York City
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
12 reviews
6. Re: Friends...

Just one more thing, the apartments are way to big to be real NYC apartments. I live about 2 blockd from "Monica" and my apt is about 1/3 the size. But I would not live anywhere else.

AL (UNG)

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
121 posts
23 reviews
7. Re: Friends...

...thanks all for the great information... ;0)

Bedford, UK
Level Contributor
104 posts
8. Re: Friends...

I noticed the NBC store at Rockefeller Center has Friends "stuff" for sale...can't say exactly what, as I must be the only person on the planet who hated that show :)

Scott

Wirral
Level Contributor
52 posts
9. Re: Friends...

I know the restaurant that was below Monica's apartment is now closed, but what was its name and has a new restaurant opened since?

Sunderland, United...
Destination Expert
for Sunderland
Level Contributor
6,825 posts
52 reviews
10. Re: Friends...

It was called Chez Michallet, and a new place has opened called The Little Owl.It must be very new, as at New Year the place was empty and deserted.