We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time Visit to NY.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
29 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
First Time Visit to NY.

We are planning a One Day Tour of NY. We are staying near Newark Airport.

We are thinking of using of the Gray Line Hop on and Hop off.

Any further suggestions on mode of tour?

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
11,328 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time Visit to NY.

If you've only got one day here, I wouldn't advise trying to run around seeing as many famous attractions as possible. I'd pick one or two attractions, maybe ESB or TOTR, and maybe one museum, and then explore a neighborhood, or maybe stroll down Broadway or Fifth Avenue and just take in the vibe of the place.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,553 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time Visit to NY.

I think the hop on/off bus for a 1 day tour is NOT a good idea (or very economical). If you want an overview tour, look at the NY party shuttle or Marvelous Manhattan. Don't know if the times will work for you, but you won't waste time waiting for buses etc.

nypartyshuttle.com

kingofnyc.com

OR, as Bettina says, pick a few things you want to see and do it on your own. Staying at Newark will use up time getting to/from NYC. Not ideal.

Bedford, UK
Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time Visit to NY.

We just did Grey Line on Saturday, and actually found it pretty convenient. We didn't ever have to wait long for a bus, especially on the downtown loop. Mind you, I'm not sure I would choose that if I only had one day.

Since time is an issue, and having been to both over the weekend, I would definitely suggest doing TOTR instead of ESB. We found ESB too long of a wait (and this was at 10 pm!), also the annoying practice of those snaking lines, everytime you think you're almost there you go around a corner and see more snaking lines. Then you REALLY think you're almost there, get on the elevator, only to discover it lets you off 6 floors below the top (as far as I can tell, the only purpose for this is to try & sell you a cheesy photo), so yet more queues to get to the final leg. And the folks at ESB, unlike at TOTR, take every opportunity to try & part you from more of your money.

At TOTR, we went straight up (there were only about a dozen other people), and the view is every bit as good.

Scott

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,208 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time Visit to NY.

If your flight doesnt arrive too late, you can take that bus tour at night, get an overview of the city (and great nightime views) and come in the next day to sightsee...

Then again, if you're jetlagged from long flight, you may want to just sit on the bus and be driven around...

Level Contributor
239 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time Visit to NY.

We just had our first trip to NY, and although we had a whole week, we did the New York Party Shuttle and really enjoyed it. It is a 5 1/2 hour GUIDED tour to almost all the major NY sights and attractions. You ride a small bus with about 30 people, and they get off with you and show you around. We saw the Statue of Liberty, the Dakota and Strawberry Fields, Wall street, 5th avenue, Soho, Little Italy, chinatown, Times Square,Ground Zero, St. Paul's etc. on and on. I recommend them highly, especially if you want to see as much as possible in a short time.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
29 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Time Visit to NY.

Thanks Guys for the advise. Looking forward to this trip. Terima kasih.