We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in NYC for a non-touristy experience?

San Ramon...
Level Contributor
29 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in NYC for a non-touristy experience?

My husband and I will be traveling from CA to NY in early Sept (WITHOUT our 3 young kids) and want to experience NY in a non-touristy way. I'd love recommendations for hotels in areas where we can step out and enjoy restaurants, cafes, and furniture shopping (we're not much for the 5th ave shops). We want to be able to walk to most everything (or have subway access nearby).

I'm very specific about hotel rooms: large (for NY standards), ideally floor to ceiling windows for a great view of the city, contemporary decor, good size bathroom with walk-in shower. We're not much for trendy night life, but are looking to make this rare getaway without the kids special.

Hoping to keep it below $400/night. What do you suggest? Also the only thing we would like to see is the WTC Memorial and maybe catch a broadway play. Would also love to find the part of town that has the more affordable furniture shops (vs. designer showrooms). Appreciate any help you can provide.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
8,845 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Where to stay in NYC for a non-touristy experience?

(1) It's a difficult hair-splitter, but staying WITH the locals is legal - it's OK to take a "hosted" rental on AirBNB or stay in a bed & breakfast arrangement where the primary resident is also present. What's illegal is to rent a completely empty apartment, which has no primary resident, for under 30 days.

(2) What those buildings permit is irrelevant because the law supersedes those policies. Sublets under 30 days are illegal by NYS law right now.

22. Re: Where to stay in NYC for a non-touristy experience?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 December 2012, 08:35
Edited: 16 December 2012, 08:35
New York City
Level Contributor
17,257 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Where to stay in NYC for a non-touristy experience?

cttu, give it up already. TripAdvsor regularly advertises illegal rentals; the fact that you see it on this site makes it no less illegal than if you found it anywhere else.

Why do you insist on giving nothing but bad advice?

Orlando, Florida...
Level Contributor
132 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Where to stay in NYC for a non-touristy experience?

Once again, staying in a residence (not a hotel, not a hostel, not a bed & breakfast, but an actual residence that is legally considered a residence rather than a hotel of any kind) is legal only if the tenant is staying with you the entire time. It's legal to stay with friends or family, it is NOT legal to rent an empty apartment for such a short time span to use as a cheap hotel room.

Even if it's longer than 30 days, the landlord will very likely consider it to be illicit use of his property as a hotel room and he will evict the tourists and padlock the apartment. Assuming you don't show up to find it already padlocked, or simply a place that doesn't exist.

Apartment rentals are a bad idea, period. It's a scam or illegal, and you WILL end up paying for it very quickly. One person here rented an apartment for 31 days and was loathe to give up on the idea because he had already wired $7000 to the scammer and was told that he couldn't get it back, so he was determined to go on vacation anyway because he "had nothing left to lose". Don't be an idiot.

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,261 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Where to stay in NYC for a non-touristy experience?

I love it when total newbies start lecturing about the forum and so on ...ROFL

good start of the day

New York City, New...
5 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: Where to stay in NYC for a non-touristy experience?

Greenwhiteblue and cody

complain to tripadvisor, and ask them to remove 1,820 Trusted New York City Rentals on the site.

see if they agree with you. LOL

Mentioned in this post
Orlando, Florida...
Level Contributor
132 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Where to stay in NYC for a non-touristy experience?

.......I can't even be nice about this debate any more. If the place wasn't as strictly moderated as it is, I'd have some very choice words about your intelligence.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,214 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Where to stay in NYC for a non-touristy experience?

cttu - I suggest that you contact Trip Advisor and ask them to STOP taking MONEY to advertise apartment rentals. Let's see how far that goes.

They aren't going to stop. Why? Because they get a lot of $$$$$. And, in the end, they aren't liable and they post that it isn't their responsibility if an apartment is illegal or not. Read the fine print.

So, as TA has said, they don't care and will not look into the local laws of every place they advertise apartment rentals. Oh, and have I already said why? In case you missed it, it is because of $$$$.

Edited: 17 December 2012, 06:42
29. Re: Where to stay in NYC for a non-touristy experience?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 December 2013, 06:15