We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Plan to visit Niagra Falls in September

Hil,

We plan to be in NYC in mid September and we only have 3 days to spend to visit Niagra Falls.

My questions are -

What is the best way to get to Niagra Falls from NYC?

If we don't drive there, what forms of transportations are available around the Falls?

We plan to stay one night by the Falls, what hotel would you recommand?

If we want to visit the Canadian side of the falls do we have enough time?

And is it walking distance to cross the Canadian border to see the Falls on that side? If not, are there tours available on the US side?

Any other suggestions and recommandations are greatly appreciated.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
449 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Plan to visit Niagra Falls in September

My honest recommendation is to fly to Toronto for two nights, and do a day trip from there.

Gig Harbor...
Level Contributor
3,225 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Plan to visit Niagra Falls in September

You will do better posting most of these questions on the Niagra Falls forum

IMHO, the best way is get there is to fly to Buffalo and rent a car at the airport.. Then drive to the falls. They are more spectacular on the Canadian side.

When we went(we drove), we had to go through a border crossing booth. So, I don't know if you could walk. We only stayed for the day,since we found that was enough time for us.

Grantham, United...
Level Contributor
683 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Plan to visit Niagra Falls in September

If you look under Niagara Falls spelt right you will find more info.

Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,045 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Plan to visit Niagra Falls in September

Both the American and the Canadian parts are very nice. You could combine a trip to Toronto as suggested. It is a 11 hour drive to the Falls from NYC and a further 60-90 minutes for Toronto. Yes you could stay in the American side in Niagara Falls and walk across any of the Bridges.

S B
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
283 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Plan to visit Niagra Falls in September

Yes, the Canadian side is really amazing view, considered to be a better view than the US side. I would also recommend flying to Buffalo and renting a car or flying to Toronto and take a day trip. You don't need a few days there. However, Niagara-on-the-lake is another attraction worth investigating - a wine tour and they have have many BNB (in Ontario). There are are many tour buses from Toronto and I assume Buffalo.

S B
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
283 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Plan to visit Niagra Falls in September

Also try travel zoo - they sometimes have good deals on Niagara Falls hotel deals:

http://www.travelzoo.com/ca/top20/

(they collect the best 20 deals each week)

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
55,331 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Plan to visit Niagra Falls in September

With 3 days, you have plenty of time for the Falls. Fly into Buffalo, rent a car and drive across the border. Jetblue flies from NY to Buffalo.

You can probably spend just one full day and an overnight at the Falls plus Niagara-on-the-Lake. Spend the remaining time in Toronto.

Edited: 23 July 2012, 03:49
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,071 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Plan to visit Niagra Falls in September

I'm confused ... three days to visit both New York City AND Niagara Falls or 3 days for the Falls in addition to time in New York City.

Driving is about 400 miles and a very long drive when you factor in traffic and those pesky stops for things like restrooms and lunch..

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Plan to visit Niagra Falls in September

I suggest you GOOGLE the 'official' Niagara Falls web site to gain some perspective and information on the Falls and how to negotiate the area.........you'll receive a ton more information than from here on this Forum!

Remember GOOGLE is YOUR friend!

Poppa

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Plan to visit Niagra Falls in September

My wife have a conference in NYC. We have been to NYC before a couple of times and visited lots of the attractions like the Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, and etc. but never visited Niagara Falls. We want ot spend 3 days visiting the falls on NYC and the Canadian sides. Most of the suggestions I got from the reviews and recommandations are to fly from NYC to Buffalo. I may consider renting a car when we are at Buffalo, although I do rather walk if we can see most of the attractions by foot.