We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cash Passport from Australia

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
336 posts
Save Topic
Cash Passport from Australia

I have purchased one of these for the first time from 'The Currency Exchange' .. Has anyone used this particular MasterCard ?? How did you like it?

Also I've been told to take about $500 Australian money to be on the safe side (no idea why since I can't use Aussie money once I touch ground in US) and also to convert Aussie money to US when I arrive because 'apparently' you get it at a better rate... How true is this??

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,955 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cash Passport from Australia

Completely false.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
449 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cash Passport from Australia

Go to Citibank and get a Citi Plus Transaction Account. No fees for overseas transactions or ATM withdrawals. And no account keeping fees. It works just like a normal Aussie bank account when you're there. It just converts whatever currency you use to AUD at the days rate. Their rates are the best in Aus too.

If you want good rates for cash. Go to the currency exchange in Melbourne Central in front of the clock. Best rates in all of Melbourne.

Edited: 22 July 2012, 14:38
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
336 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cash Passport from Australia

I already have a Cash Passport MasterCard. I was asking for people's experiences with that particular card. Thanks anyways

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
449 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cash Passport from Australia

Have you asked in the Australia forum? You'll get locals who have used all the different cards they offer.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cash Passport from Australia

I've used the Commonwealth Travel Card and will use it again when I'm there next time. From what I've heard it's very similar, sorry I don't have any specific reviews.

Taking $500AUD cash is a stupid idea and personally I would convert as much as I can to USD before I go. The Cash Passport allows you to buy USD and have it stored on there doesn't it? Do that for as much as you can to start with, then you have the currency rate locked in.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
336 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cash Passport from Australia

Thank you.

Yes that's correct with the Cash Passport , your rate is locked in at the time you reload with more money!

Yes I was very confused with why would people Would tell me to take Aussie dollars for safety in another country ... It won't help me there ..

NSW
Level Contributor
712 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cash Passport from Australia

Getting the currency rate locked in has been my big priority over the last couple of months. I have a CBA travel card, that allows you to lock in at the current rate. The Aus dollar has been fluctuating a bit in recent months, and I don't want to take the chance of waiting and seeing what it will be when we travel to the US.

I plan to take $500 US cash with me from Australia.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cash Passport from Australia

Hi

I used the Travelex Cash Passport for USD whilst visiting from the UK just there and found it no trouble at all.

I did the same and bought USD at a very good rate and just visited the nearest major ATM to withdraw money whenever i needed it.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cash Passport from Australia

I used cash passport last year in the states and had no trouble anywhere. It is accepted everywhere and cash withdrawals easy. However, take US dollars with you (1000 is a good start and keep in a money belt) - order thru auspost.com.au as they charge no commission on purchases. Today's rate is 99.07 which is pretty comparable, you order online and pick up at nearest post office, great service. Also, you can top up cash passport online thru the auspost site with good rates (heaps better than travel agents). Enjoy !!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cash Passport from Australia

I used cash passport last year in the states and had no trouble anywhere. It is accepted everywhere and cash withdrawals easy. However, take US dollars with you (1000 is a good start and keep in a money belt) - order thru auspost.com.au as they charge no commission on purchases. Today's rate is 99.07 which is pretty comparable, you order online and pick up at nearest post office, great service. Also, you can top up cash passport online thru the auspost site with good rates (heaps better than travel agents). Enjoy !!