We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lay over 6 hrs. what to see?

Chiangmai Thailand
Level Contributor
119 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Lay over 6 hrs. what to see?

Hello, We will lay over at JFK about 6 hrs, arrive about 8 am and will have to fly out about 4pm. Please give some advice what to see with in this short visit, not Empire State Building or Status Liberty. Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Empire State Building
Empire State Building
70,095 Reviews
New York City, NY
Central Village...
Level Contributor
18,036 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lay over 6 hrs. what to see?

definitely not the Status Liberty - with 6 hours - you probably are going to be stuck at the airport - not really that much time to 'see' anything.........IMO

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,302 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lay over 6 hrs. what to see?

Depending upon where you are coming from and where you are going your layover is not going to approach 6 hours. You are 8 hours from wheel down to wheels up. YOu need to go through immigration if arriving from overseas. You need to allow check-in and security checks if leaving domestically. If you are coming in domestic you won't have to get your luggage but you do need to allow 3 hours for an outwardbound international flight. The most free time I see is 4-5 hours and depending upon the day and date you may have time to see nothing.

Chiangmai Thailand
Level Contributor
119 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lay over 6 hrs. what to see?

Thank for the answers.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lay over 6 hrs. what to see?

stay at the airport and people watch people from all over the world

Chiangmai Thailand
Level Contributor
119 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lay over 6 hrs. what to see?

Well, Thank you very much for all the idea.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
322 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lay over 6 hrs. what to see?

What do you like to do? If it were me, I would go to a museum, or have a really nice lunch, or walk on the High Line. From these boards it looks like some people would go watch other tourists in Times Square. It's hard to advise without some clues. I agree that you wont have much time. When I flew two days ago, a short domestic trip, it took me an hour just getting through security at JFK. You must account for crazy and unexpected lines and traffic.

Mentioned in this post
Times Square
Times Square
44,176 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,619 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lay over 6 hrs. what to see?

You might have 2-3 hrs. In Manhattan. What would YOU like to see? Qhat time of year will this be? Have you ever been to NYC? Is your outbound flight domestic?

Mentioned in this post
Chiangmai Thailand
Level Contributor
119 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lay over 6 hrs. what to see?

I am flying from AZ to NY to connect a flight to London. I don't really know what I can do, My flight arrive at NY about 6:00am, and will fly out to London about 5:30pm. Please give me some idea, never lay over at NY before. Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
The London NYC
The London NYC
3,821 Reviews
New York City, NY
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
63 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lay over 6 hrs. what to see?

I would personally feel a bit too nervous to leave the airport, given that you can't tell how long security lines etc are going to be.

Forest Hills, New...
Level Contributor
385 posts
557 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lay over 6 hrs. what to see?

You might want to consider a visit to the Queens Center Mall in Elmhurst, Queens, if you'd like to spend the time shopping, since it is not too far from JFK:

http://www.shopqueenscenter.com/

They claim to be "[t]he largest shopping mall in New York City", although their use of quotation marks makes me wonder. (Why use quotation marks if you really ARE the largest mall in New York City?)

Mentioned in this post
Queens Center
Queens Center
86 Reviews
Elmhurst, NY
Queens
Queens
New York