We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying tickets as a TDF member

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
125 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Buying tickets as a TDF member

I signed up for a TDF membership (I'm eligible since I work for a non-profit) to get dicounted tickets without the line. I was looking at taking my kids to a Wednesday matinee (8/15) of Phantom. On the TDF website, these tickets are $42 each with a disclaimer that the seats may be in the rear mezzanine. I guess it's luck of the draw, but this doesn't seem like that great a deal for rear mez. seats.

What I'm wondering (now that I've already paid the 30 bucks to join) is: am I better off buying tickets in advance through TDF, paying a bit more on another site where at leat I can see where I'm buying, or just lining up that day to see where the best available tickets are. Since I'm one adult traveling with three kids, I really need the four seats to be together, which I imagine could effect my ability to get good discounted seats. We're not stuck on seeing Phantom. I just want a musical that eleven year old kids will enjoy. Thanks for any input!

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,939 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying tickets as a TDF member

They may be in the rear mezzanine or not. I was told this for Porgy and End of the Rainbow and we were in the orchestra both times.

You won't do better price wise. They will seat you together. You are too late for Tada. I wouldn't pay more than that to take 3 11 yr olds to a show and you certainly would not enjoy standing in line with them for TKTS but the choice is yours.

Greenwich...
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying tickets as a TDF member

Telecharge is still showing four tickets together as close as Center Orchestra, Row C. You have to decide what's more important - sitting together in good seats or saving money. You are not guaranteed four good seats together from either TDF or TKTS.

Phantom is a good choice for potential availability, though.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying tickets as a TDF member

TDF is similar to broadway box in that the benefit is getting discounted tickets in advance. I would use that as a comparison. You may pay more but I have always found a better seat selection on www.broadwaybox.com and there is no membership fee.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,921 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying tickets as a TDF member

Using broadwaybox, it lists the prices for a Wed. mat. in Aug as follows:

Wednesday matinees

Selected Orchestra & Front Mezzanine: $82

Rear Mezzanine: rows A-E @ $52, rows F-J @ $42

Rear Mezzanine rows K-L @ $26.50 (regular price with this offer)

So if you get anything better than the very back of the theater, you're doing better. But I've got to say, Phantom is not the show I'd pick for 11 yr olds. I will admit I'm not a fan of that show, but I think there are plenty of better options including some off Broadway shows that will be cheaper. If the kids are girls, I'd look at Mary Poppins (you will enjoy it too and should would boys, but they won't want to admit it) or Bring It On, a new show about cheerleading. Newsies is another.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
8,939 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying tickets as a TDF member

Peter and the Star Catchers is another and you can have them read the book first.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
586 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying tickets as a TDF member

"TDF is similar to broadway box in that the benefit is getting discounted tickets in advance. I would use that as a comparison. You may pay more but I have always found a better seat selection on www.broadwaybox.com and there is no membership fee."

bilmin09, I don't understand your claim. Unless you make a regular practice of ordering tickets on both TDF and broadwaybox.com for the exact same show, how would you know that broadwaybox will result in a better seat selection? With TDF, you generally don't know until you arrive at the theater exactly where you will be seated.

Greenwich...
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying tickets as a TDF member

Better seat selection = being able to select your seat yourself, meaning you can ensure you will NOT be in the rear mezzanine, as may happen (however rarely) with TDF.

8. Re: Buying tickets as a TDF member

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 25 July 2012, 17:28
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
586 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying tickets as a TDF member

Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification, parfaits.

Yes, there is indeed the risk of the unknown, in the case of TDF. In general, we have been pleased with our seat assignments, certainly for the relatively attractive prices paid. But I could also see how sometimes you might be prepared to potentially pay more for the assurance of knowing your seating in advance.

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,912 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buying tickets as a TDF member

I use my TDF account two to three times a month and love it. It's not like BwayBox because there is no choice of exact location and usually no choice of section. When I order farther in advance, I do seem to get better seats on the day of the show. The fewer seats you order the better chance of good ones. Usually, TDF dot Com membership is the cheapest ticket, but I don't think your Phantom ticket is the cheapest. I use Goldstar for events that don't send to TDF.

My only complaint is that many box offices don't have the TDF eTickets ready for pickup until 5 or 6 PM for an 8 PM show, and I'd like to get them earlier. But I suspect that I've gotten my fifth row center seats when the  'dress the house' at the last minute.

I save my annual fee in the first month of use!