We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how much time for connecting flight at JFK

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
145 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
how much time for connecting flight at JFK

november 2nd have a flight booked JFK to LA departs 6.30pm. that day we will be flying from new orleans to NYC and will book a flight to JFK rather than have to change airports. have 2 flight choices that are within $30usd in price difference so not really a price issue. one departs new orleans at 9.40 arrives at JFK at 1.28pm and the other departs at 10.45am and arrives JFK at 2.50 pm. Are these flight times ok or have i allowed too much time at JFK prior to 6.30pm flight or not enough? would appreciate some help. thanks

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how much time for connecting flight at JFK

Is the JFK - LA flight a stand-alone domestic flight, or is it part of an international flight back to Aus? Do you have to check bags?

Either way, I would be getting the earlier flight. Just in case. I'd much rather have more time in case of any delays than worry that any little delay could make me miss the cut off for checking in for my next flight.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
145 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how much time for connecting flight at JFK

Thanks melbtraveller - the JFK to LA is part of international Qantas flight - leaves from Terminal 7 - and will have bags to check in. the earlier flight arrives term 2-4 and later one term 5. maybe your right to just get the earlier one - it only means getting up an hour earlier so will hav to tone down last night in new orleans.

Mentioned in this post
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
145 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how much time for connecting flight at JFK

with a bit more searching i have found the only direct flights new O to JFK are Delta arrive 2.50pm = $327 for 2 pax and Jetblue arrive 1.38pm = $587.

Mentioned in this post
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
145 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how much time for connecting flight at JFK

anyone else help with this question as i now am comparing price versus time. thanks

New York, NY
Level Contributor
639 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how much time for connecting flight at JFK

Waywood --

If either of your flights actually land on time at JFK, you should be fine.

The better question you should be asking is - what will you do if either of your arriving flights are 3 hours late due to weather, equipment problems, etc.? Is your flight to LA and Australia fully refundable or transferable in case you miss it?

My advice is to get to JFK the day beforehand.

-NooYawkuh, who recently had to deal with a 5-hour flight delay.

Mentioned in this post
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,177 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how much time for connecting flight at JFK

The time of year you're travelling may lead to some bad weather. This can cause delay, which, if you're planned, you just shrug off, and get on with life while waiting. If you're on a tight schedule, you panic, stress, and post on forums about how stressful it is, and you're in tears, and how you'll never fly so and so airline again, when actually it was all your fault.* (*I've seen posts like that, it is shockingly pathetic!)

I do agree with NooYawkuh, you should stay 1 night less in New Orleans, and head to NYC for a night. Then, you only have to spend around 1 hour getting to the airport, and there are multiple options.

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
7. Re: how much time for connecting flight at JFK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2013, 10:15