We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Show....Avenue Q? Once? Suggestions?

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
A Show....Avenue Q? Once? Suggestions?

My daughter, 22, and I are planning a return trip in October - combination of great seat sale and finding great hotel rate in LIC. Yippee!

Thinking about going to a show, and I'm having some trouble. The mainstream spectaculars aren't really our thing.

The only Broadway shows I've been to are Book of Mormon and Next to Normal, and loved them both.

I'd like to go to something a little off-beat, and not overly serious.

The preview snippets of Once look quite intense and heartfelt. Avenue Q looks pretty goofy.

Is there anything else I could be looking at? I took a look at the off-Broadway list on Playbill, and it's quite overwhelming not knowing anything about any of them.

Any comments/suggestions?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
806 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A Show....Avenue Q? Once? Suggestions?

I saw Avenue Q, very very funny, I recommend it.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A Show....Avenue Q? Once? Suggestions?

I loved Avenue Q as well. If you want something off beat and not overly serious, I don't recommend Once. While beautiful, it's not exactly a "feel good." One show I would consider is Triassic Parq. It was hilarious and everything I imagined an Off-Broadway show to be. It is housed in a tiny theater in SoHo and it really gives you a different experience than the big Broadway shows.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A Show....Avenue Q? Once? Suggestions?

If you have a good sense of humor and are not a prude then Avenue Q is very funny,

If you go on www.broadwaybox.com and click on the name of the shows you will get a short synopsis--- see which ones appeal to you and ask about those. The ones in the far left hand column are the ones being discounted.

Edited: 31 July 2012, 00:19
Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
12,089 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A Show....Avenue Q? Once? Suggestions?

Well I'm sort of a prude and I still found avenue Q funny. Not outrageous funny, just funny.

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A Show....Avenue Q? Once? Suggestions?

Wow...ok I'm sold. If you all think it's funny, I'm in.

ejolly, thanks very much for the heads up on Triassic Parq. It looks like exactly what we're looking for - and I never would have found it on my own. Thanks!

With the discounts we'll easily be able to do both of them.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,322 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A Show....Avenue Q? Once? Suggestions?

I'd recommend both Ave Q and Once. Ave Q is off broadway and discounted and has tickets as little as $55. One of the funniest shows I've ever seen.

Once is outstanding, lovely, heartfelt. A real tear jerker and I loved it as did my wife -- and different enough from the movie that it's worth seeing even if you have seen the movie.

For more of somethinng different :

New Girl In Town- -- off broadway muscial at the Irish Rep and discounted at broadwaybox.com ($55). It just opened, I haven't seen it yet (but I will), and you can read about it here theatermania.com/off-broadway/reviews/07-201… . Now, this musical is not going to be in the same league as Once, but the Irish Rep always does excellent productions in their tiny stage. What I really like about this company is that the casts are always first rate and the place is so small you can really see the actors expressions no matter where you're sitting. And even though they do ampliphy the sound you still get a real sense that a person is standing there singing from a spot on the stage.

NY NY
Level Contributor
1,855 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A Show....Avenue Q? Once? Suggestions?

I loved New Girl in Town! They use very inch of that tiny space. The cast, sets, choreography are all first-rate, and the music is wonderful (the same writer as Funny Girl). And you get to hear their actual, unamplified voices -- a rare treat.

I'm also a big fan of Avenue Q. I had to be dragged to it because I really dislike puppets, but I fell in love. It's hilarious.

I'm in the minority on this forum, but Once bored me, even though I enjoy Irish music. The lead actor is wonderful, but I wasn't impressed with the show.

Ohio
Level Contributor
8,958 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A Show....Avenue Q? Once? Suggestions?

We've seen Silence, the Musical twice and absolutely loved it! It's the musical parody of Silence of the Lambs and is hysterically funny. The acting, singing, and dancing are topnotch!

http://www.silencethemusicalnyc.com/

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A Show....Avenue Q? Once? Suggestions?

I think it's the puppet thing that put me off too, outoftheinkwell, but I am willing to be won over.

Rassi, Silence, the Musical...crazy!! Too bad I hated the movie and haven't seen it since it was first released. (I had read the book first and liked it better) I'd have to watch the movie again with fresh eyes, which I may do, because the show looks pretty awesome.

And thanks for New Girl in Town as well. That looks really good as well. We might just have to do a show every night we're in town.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,322 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A Show....Avenue Q? Once? Suggestions?

Don't let the puppet thing stop you -- it's not what you think it is. It's human actors on stage fully acting at every second. They just happen to be holding sesame street like puppets that they are manipulating too. It's very difficult to describe. If you want a taste have a look at this video but even this doesn't really capture what it's like seeing it on stage because the close ups of the actors obscures the fact that the stage has people on it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6ALzUGZsOQ