We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Credit cards at hotels

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
89 posts
584 reviews
Save Topic
Credit cards at hotels

I've been looking at booking hotels in NYC and noticed on all of them even the pay in advance say you have to present your credit card to the hotel. It got me wondering if you forgot to bring the credit card that you booked the room would they refuse to give you the room? They already have your details, so they can charge the card. Especially the pay in advance ones, can they really refuse the room if you've already been charged for it anyway?

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Credit cards at hotels

I think you should just remember your credit card and then ask them what would have happened when you get there.

Greenwich...
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Credit cards at hotels

Yes, they will refuse to check you in without the card (and a photo ID) being physically present. We like to know that people are who they say they are in this country.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,043 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Credit cards at hotels

Yes, of course you have to have it. Just don't forget it.

new york city
Level Contributor
19,059 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Credit cards at hotels

It does not have to be the same credit card--- I have on many occassions switched up at the last minute-- as long as you have a valid credit card you will get in. No credit card ? they will want a cash deposit in addition to full payment of the room charges in advance

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Credit cards at hotels

I haven't had the credit card used to book a room in the US before (it was booked for me by someone back in Aus while I was travelling). I just gave them another one and it was fine, they charged it to that one. I've also booked many rooms on my credit card then presented a friend's or my boyfriend's credit card to actually have it charged to. Obviously that person has been there with me and we were staying together.

If you turned up without the credit card used for the original booking and had no other credit card you might have a problem. Or if you have pre-paid for the room I'd think you might need that credit card used then.

Edited: 31 July 2012, 14:47
Level Contributor
427 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Credit cards at hotels

I thought it might be helpful to remind you also that even if you prepay they will also be swiping that credit card when you get there to hold an incidentals deposit. (I keep a very low credit limit because I am not a credit using kind of person and had to put up a quite sizable cash deposit in addition to them placing a hold on my card when I was recently in new york).

I am happy though that the policy is to actually see the card and i.d. so no one could book a hotel if i ever lost my card :)

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5,273 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Credit cards at hotels

A quick clarification on wording - you must present *a* credit card when you check in, but it does not necessarily have to be *the* credit card. All the hotel really wants is a credit line where they may post any incidental charges that are incurred during your stay (room service, WiFi, etc).

This is standard practice in the US for most hotels and car rental agencies, and as bilmin09 states, it does not have to be the same card that was used for the original reservation. You can even settle the bill with a different (third) credit card when you check out, or pay with cash if you prefer.

One thing to be aware of is that if you use a debit card for this, then the hotel will place a temporary "hold" on your account until you check out. This may impact any available funds that you were planning to use during your stay.

So in the US at least, it's usually best to travel with at least one credit card, even if you never plan to use it. I personally carry 3 or 4 with me at all times, because I never know when I am going to get the "random decline" (something that my bank appears to specialize in). Either way you are not required to pay by credit card, and can always use cash or debit when you check out.

-JimG

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,400 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Credit cards at hotels

Agree with JimGin. It doesn't have to be the same credit card you booked with. Your name should be the same as the name used for the booking, however.

Level Contributor
427 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Credit cards at hotels

True. I typically cash out at the end of a stay too but the hotel wanted to put a incidentals hold on my actual credit card. I was not using a debit card. I think its becoming a more common practice perhaps?

10. Re: Credit cards at hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 31 July 2012, 19:05