We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amtrak Luggage Measurements

Melbourne
Level Contributor
291 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Amtrak Luggage Measurements

Hi everyone, does anyone know how strict Amtrak Trains are with their carry on luggage measurements? I know we can take two carry on pieces each. One of ours will be a large suitcase that i have just realised will be roughly 1.5-2 inches or 70mm in length longer than the restricted measurements on their site. The width and depth of our suitcase is under their measurements, it is only the length measurement that is slightly longer.

Our train specifies no checked baggage. Are they strict with these measurements? Will an inch or two too long be an issue? Do you think we would be ok and allowed to take the suitcase as carry on?

Hopefully we dont have to purchase another suitcase before we leave!

Thanks

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amtrak Luggage Measurements

If you can carry the bag, you'll be fine. Plenty of train passwngers have suitcases that obviously exceed the posted size limit. I've never seen any Amtrak employee attempt to measure anyone's suitcase or stop anyone from bringing a gigantic bag onto the train.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Amtrak Luggage Measurements

>> Our train specifies no checked baggage. <<

This only means they will not take your bag from you and store it like they do on a plane.

You are expected to carry all of your own bags and store them in the available luggage storage sections located in each train car.

No one is going to measure or weigh your luggage.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,655 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amtrak Luggage Measurements

There are overhead racks (not bins) that are much larger than airline overhead bins. There is also substantial storage room at the end of each car. The legroom is also very substantial - think airline first class space on steroids - so you can also store larger items under the seat in front of you than would be true on a plane.

As others have said, if you can carry it on no one will care about the dimensions.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amtrak Luggage Measurements

Honestly, it won't matter at all.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,250 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amtrak Luggage Measurements

No one has ever looked at the luggage when Ive taken Amtrak. There are Red Caps (porters) who will bring your luggage down to the track, which they wouldnt have if everyone carried small bags.

On the current trains, there is no way to put anything under the seat in front of you - the seat back extends down to the floor. The overhead racks are large - and the Acelas have huge overhead bins. There never seems to be a problem fitting luggage in the trains, but if you're using one of the racks at the end of the car, I would pick the one in the direction where I could sort of keep an eye on it.

suitcaseready.com

Edited: 02 August 2012, 20:43
Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amtrak Luggage Measurements

The Amtrak trains I've taken recently -- including Northeast Regional trains from Philadelphia to Boston and back in the last week -- have had room for small bags to fit under the seats, in addition to the roomy overhead racks.

Miami, FL
Level Contributor
2 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Amtrak Luggage Measurements

Got on with a rather large bag and 2 other medium size bags and no one stopped me, but you need to navigate an escalator. There was a woman checking boarding passes and another that looked like a manager looking at bags? I had no problem either way. There is no one to help you lift nags so I would use prudence.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,655 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Amtrak Luggage Measurements

You can indeed get help with your bags. I'm assuming you're leaving from New York Penn Station. There are "red caps" to assist you (and they really do wear red caps.) Ask any Amtrak staff member where to find them. They will bring you down to your train slightly early, so you'll have a wider choice of seats. Be sure to tip them!

Miami, FL
Level Contributor
2 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Amtrak Luggage Measurements

Ah, thank you. I didn't see them but all the same managed ok.

10. Re: Amtrak Luggage Measurements

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2013, 01:17