We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 Hour Wait in JFK Internatonal

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
146 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
5 Hour Wait in JFK Internatonal

Hi All i am flying over to San Diego from London on the 1st May 2013. The flight is not direct so we have to change in New York and wiat for the next flight. Wait til is around 5 hours. I have been informed we would not need to collect luggage as this will automaticly be changed to the correct aircraft. I was just wondering what we can do in the Airport for that long? Would we be able to get out of the Airport to explore for a few hours? Or do you think we would have to hang around inside the terminal?

Any help is helpful

Cawston22

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,485 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 Hour Wait in JFK Internatonal

You're free to leave the airport if you want, The challenge is what to do within that time frame. I'm very surprised to hear about the baggage. What airlines are you flying?

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
146 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 Hour Wait in JFK Internatonal

Flying with Virgin. They say we dont have to worry as they will do this for us as its a connecting flight out.

Never been to New York before, is the Airport close to sights or good food places? Just thinking of something we can do where we dont have to worry about time, but can enjoy gong or seeing something.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,836 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 Hour Wait in JFK Internatonal

Usually you need to clear customs in your first US stop, which requires collecting your baggage to have it available for inspection. Are you REALLY sure that Virgin told you that you don't need to get your bags at JFK? Did the person you talked to understand that you're clearing customs, not just changing planes?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
53,644 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 Hour Wait in JFK Internatonal

I'm confused by this as well. If JFK is your first arrival point in the USA, you must claim your bags as you need the bags to clear customs.

The only time this isn't done is if you've used a pre-clearance facility like in Ireland, Canada, and some of the Carribean countries. The UK doesn't have any pre-clearance.

So you'll spend about 90 minutes (maybe more, maybe less) of your time going through immigration, then getting your bags from the belt and walking though customs.

After that you turn the bags back to the airline at the "transfer desk". The bags should already be tagged to San Diego and you should be given your onward boarding pass in London when you check in.

So its hand the bags over, go through security, and get to your next gate. Depending on who is handling your flight from JFK to San Diego you might need to change terminals.

Edited: 02 August 2012, 14:15
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 Hour Wait in JFK Internatonal

Virgin are not telling you the full truth. The baggage will be tagged to the final destination, but failed to explain the standard US Procedures.

You will get off the plane, you will go through immigration, you will head to the baggage carousel, you will collect your luggage, you will then go through customs. Once customs is done, you will head towards connecting flights, and drop your bag off there (it won't need re-tagging, so this is quick)

This overall process, will take around 1 hour. Suddenly, your 5 hour wait, is now 4 hours. Factor in 30 minutes to go through security, as if you have a terminal change, 30 minutes to change terminal, and 30 minutes for when you've got to the at the gate for boarding, that 4 hours is now only 2.5 hours - 3 hours.

Also, the fact that Manhattan is around 1 hour from the airport, that 5 hours you have is now only 1 hour (and a tight 1 hour at that) to do anything at the airport.

Stay in the airport, head to the bar, relax, stretch your legs, do some shopping...

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
146 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 Hour Wait in JFK Internatonal

Cheers guys, this is why i like trip advisor!! Will go back to virgin now and complain to the manager as if i hadn't of checked here i would have been lost. in that case we will find a nice bar in the airport have something nice to eat and drink and relax after the busy wedding day :-) cheers guys

Cork, Ireland
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 Hour Wait in JFK Internatonal

Reading this with interest as I think it may affect us also. We are flying home to Ireland after a stay in NY but need to go via Boston, with an 8 hour stop over. I had thought our baggage would just go through automatically but I'm wondering now if we also need to collect ours in Boston? Maybe this is a post for the Boston forum?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
53,644 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 Hour Wait in JFK Internatonal

You're headed home to Ireland? Not arriving in the USA?

If that's the case, your bags will be checked through to your final destination as you will clear Customs in Ireland on arrival.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 Hour Wait in JFK Internatonal

AMH, you dont have immigration/customs on departure. Your bags SHOULD be automatically transferred in Boston.

Cawston, check the JFK terminal map and see what's available. Once you get thru immigration/customs (and depending on time of day) and considering you need to check in for next flt about 60-90 min prior, you dont have that much time.

http://www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk.html

New York, NY
Level Contributor
612 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 5 Hour Wait in JFK Internatonal

Cawston -

Having been to JFK a few times over the past few months...

In my own experience, security lines at Terminal 1 are awful, and the gate area beyond security is boring. Terminal 5 (JetBlue) was exactly the opposite - super-quick security and a reasonably entertaining shopping/dining experience beyond. I have a vague recollection of one of the Delta terminals (either 2 or 3) as being incredibly run down and slow.

Your personal experience may vary.