We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mother/daughter weekend in NYC

San Diego
2 posts
Save Topic
Mother/daughter weekend in NYC

Any suggestions for a safe, reasonably priced hotel in NYC for weekend in Sept? May need a parking space, too. Looking to visit Central Park, Soho, Canal Street, a maybe a few museums, etc. Love art, design, etc. Any other suggestions for sites to see are welcome. We've been to NYC many times, but always for a play or visit to Times Square, so don't want to go there this trip. Looking for some hidden treasures to explore and some great reasonably priced places to eat.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,964 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mother/daughter weekend in NYC

Sept hotel prices are very high. You need ro tell us when in Sept. if your dates are already set and what YOU call reasonable. You should have a look on some hotel search engines like kayak.com to get an idea of prices. What kind of hidden treasures are you looking for? If museums, what kind of things do you like? (which museums have you already visited.)

San Diego
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mother/daughter weekend in NYC

Reasonably priced is less than $250 per night in a hotel with at least 4 stars. We will probably travel over Labor Day weekend (Sat - Mon). We like art, flea markets, taking photos, people watching, etc. I haven't been to any NYC museums, but like mixed media art.

One thing we've never done is spent time in Central Park. We also talked about Soho, Canal Street, and I'd love to be able to get a look at Gramercy Park.

Hidden treasures? I mean places that tourists really don't know about like interesting neighborhoods for photographing, places to eat that may not be well known but have great food, etc.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,680 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mother/daughter weekend in NYC

WHat weekend? $250 is a very small budget for any hotel in NYC in September, let alone a four star one.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,680 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mother/daughter weekend in NYC

On booking.com I see from Sat to Mon.

The Andaz Wall Street is showing for $485 pre tax for a king room. Certainly a four star, but it is in the downtown area. Might be quiet on the weekend. Not far from CHinatown though, certainly walking distance by my standards.THis hotel is very well reviewed and is very new, less than a year I think.

You could get to the Brooklyn flea easily from here too.

London
Level Contributor
61 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mother/daughter weekend in NYC

I can't help in terms of advising a sepcific hotel, but i would just say that instead of judging a hotel by the star rating, have a look at reviews here on Tripadvisor. For example, we like to stay at the Hotel Beacon which is only rated '3 stars' but is a 4.5/ 5 rated by tavellers (me included).

Hope you enjoy your trip with your daughter and vice versa :)

Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,036 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mother/daughter weekend in NYC

Check out the verve hotel.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
11,799 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mother/daughter weekend in NYC

If you're coming from San Diego, why would you need parking? Are you driving cross-country?

8. Re: Mother/daughter weekend in NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 08:16