We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pedicab Driver Scammed Tourists $400 for 10 Minute Ride

vancouver, bc
Level Contributor
111 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Pedicab Driver Scammed Tourists $400 for 10 Minute Ride

wpix.com/news/…6100754.story

Read the fine print when you secure a pedicab ride.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
12,877 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pedicab Driver Scammed Tourists $400 for 10 Minute Ride

yes I read that too - utterly outrageous!

Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,045 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pedicab Driver Scammed Tourists $400 for 10 Minute Ride

I wonder why they paid. A civil matter if they refused to pay. This is indeed reprehensible. I thought the motto was "Don't mess with Texas"

Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,045 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pedicab Driver Scammed Tourists $400 for 10 Minute Ride

I was unable to edit my post. Maybe a group of TA NYC posters should pay this man a visit? LOL..Just kidding. But it is in really bad form.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4,354 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pedicab Driver Scammed Tourists $400 for 10 Minute Ride

I've told this story before....but....I was with my friend's very pregnant wife watching the marathon come into Central Park when we got a call from him that he had already finished, earlier than expected.

We tried to hail a regular cab but after walking a bit and having no luck, we hopped into a pedicab. He told us it would be a charge per block and per avenue times two. He took us a LONG way, from around 90th St to near Columbus Circle. When we got out, it was somewhere around $80. My friend was aghast but I chalked it up to being worth it at the time. The driver (pedaller) was not aggressive about it, he'd been very friendly and efficient so I tipped him $20 too.

Won't do it again though unless it was for a much shorter distance AND we agreed to a price in advance.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,240 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Pedicab Driver Scammed Tourists $400 for 10 Minute Ride

Odd little crinkle happened when I took a pedi cab ride this summer from Columbus Circle to The Boathouse Restaurant: I gave the pedicab driver 2 twenty dollar bills for the fare when we arrived at the Boathouse and then asked if he had change for a third 20 dollar bill so I could tip him. He took the third 20 dollar bill, checked to see if he could break the bill, and soon said he didn't have change to break the bill. There were a lot of other pedicab drivers around the Boathouse so I suggested he ask one of them to kindly break the 20. While this discussion was going on, I found the proper amount of money in my purse for a tip and gave him these bills for his tip. I asked for my 20 dollar bill to be returned to me and he denied I had given it to him! I saw a nearby pedicab driver wave the bill at me while smiling. I got out of the pedicab I was in and walked over to the smiling driver and took my money out of his hand. Nobody stopped me but it was an odd exchange that made me feel uncomfortable. That was the last pedicab ride for me.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Pedicab Driver Scammed Tourists $400 for 10 Minute Ride

A couple of years ago after a day of visiting the NYPL and a couple of Christmas markets we ended up TOLOACHE for dinner. We had to get to GCT and there wasnt't a taxi to be found and this pedicab drove by, asked us (2 adults and one 7 yo) where we were going. I told him and said I would pay $20.00 plus a tip for the ride from 8th and 50th to Grand Central. He balked, I took out the money and he agreed.

When we got to GCT I gave him $25.00 and he balked - my granddaughter told him he had agreed to that price and he started to yell - I immediately motioned to two police officers who were in earshot to come over - as soon as he saw them approaching he was on his merry way. I thanked the officers and that was it - moral being - do not be intimidated and if there are police in the area do not hesitate to contact them.

Just so happens my granddaughters' father is a police officer and she had quite a discussion with the NYPD folks.

Hold your ground - WHY the Texans paid over $400 is beyond me.

Poppa

Sale
Level Contributor
34 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pedicab Driver Scammed Tourists $400 for 10 Minute Ride

A friend of mine got caught out early on during her new York trip, she couldn't get a cab for herself and two 9 yr old daughters so they got a pedicab back to hotel. She thought she had read the sign right and the driver had said x amount per street or avenue but when got back to hotel found that the price was times 3 as there were 3 people in the pedicab. Lesson learned and she warned the rest of us the whole time we were in new York!

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,540 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pedicab Driver Scammed Tourists $400 for 10 Minute Ride

Very sad. People should remember though, when a cab can't be found--you are never far from a bus or subway.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,240 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Pedicab Driver Scammed Tourists $400 for 10 Minute Ride

Good reminder, rdglady. We were trying to avoid the steamy subway stations because it was so hot when we were there the end of June. We wanted to enjoy a little ride through a small section of Central Park. I am sure there are legitimate pedi cab drivers who provide a great service that's drama free. How does a visitor determine who is who?

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
1,732 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pedicab Driver Scammed Tourists $400 for 10 Minute Ride

There is no substitution for a walk through central park. Ive been stopped several times by people on pedicabs asking if i want a ride, same with those horses and after telling them no several times, you end up telling them where to go. Normally that works.

$400 is a complete and utter joke, of which I would have said no way.

Somebody above said they asked about change for a tip, had that been me, I woudl have just got out and not bothered regarding the tip, and esp the pedicab who took the long route for more profit - those people need to be licenced properly and regulated like taxi cabs.

Subways in the summer of June and July though are not as bad as they sound. Yes it gets hot but when you're on the train, it's very cool.

One trick I learned was to carry a bottle of water, and a facecloth/rag with me so i can soak the towel in water, and put over my head - while it might look silly, it actually cools you down that you do not feel the heat of inside the subway system. Oh, and i never use the subway between 4pm and 6pm due to rush-hour with people leaving work.

I remember one taxi journey i took, from Penn Station to my hotel, usually this would take about 10 minutes and cost around $15 max, yet this driver took me back around penn, down 5th ave, all the way to 3rd ave, up and went the long route. Got to the hotel, and charged $46. I had $20 bill and that was going to include his tip. I asked him why he had taken the route he took and he looked shocked that we knew the route like the back of our hands, despite being "forigners" - strong Scottish accent went on, and i told him in no certain terms, I was giving him $15 which was the actual cost of the journey, and had he took me the correct route, he WOULD have been given $20. He started to complain and moan and when i said to my other half, to call the PD he sped off down the road.

No matter what mode of transport you take, never be fooled by them if you can. Always ask how much the cost will be roughly first too!

Edited: 08 August 2012, 14:42