We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sightseeing in NY but staying in NJ

Cincinnati, Ohio
2 posts
Save Topic
Sightseeing in NY but staying in NJ

Hi! We are sightseeing in NY from Sept 4 to 6 but staying at a relative in North Brunswick, NJ. What would be the best way to get from NJ to NY daily? There are 6 of us in the group. Thanks!

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
10,930 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sightseeing in NY but staying in NJ

How far from a New Jersey Transit rail station does your relative live? Are all six of you staying there in one place?

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,189 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sightseeing in NY but staying in NJ

If your main goal is to see néw York I would reccomend staying in new York. The closest train station to north brunswick is jersey Ave which only has weekdsy am service to NY and requires a permit to park in and vwith 6 is $78 one way. Plus there are plenty of sites in new jersey. Here are a few links

www.visitnj.org

www.goironbound.com

www.njskylands.com

www.capemay.com

www.redbank.com

www.visitsouthjersey.com

www.stayinthemeadowlands.com\

www.shophaddonfieldnj.com/

www.funnewjersey.com/

www.wildwoodsnj.com

www.destinationmontclair.com

www.myjerseyshore.Com

www.destinationjerseycity.com

www.destinationtrenton.com

www.exit82.com

www.findsomerville.com

www.discoversalemcounty.com

www.glasstownartsdistrict.com

www.gocentraljersey.com

www.historicsmithvillenj.com

www.morristown-nj.org

www.newbrunswickrocks.com

www.njsouthernshore.com

www.lambertville.org

www.doac.com

www.goelizabethnj.com

www.mullicahill.com

www.asburyboardwalk.com

www.mainstreetmountholly.com

www.newbrunswick.com

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,614 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sightseeing in NY but staying in NJ

You can get either a bus or train from the New Brunswick area. Check with www.njtransit.com. Your relative help you locate the nearest train stations and bus pick up locations listed on that site.

Cincinnati, Ohio
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sightseeing in NY but staying in NJ

Thanks everyone! We are all staying together in 1 place. We actually have a van and I was thinking if driving to a ferry terminal in NJ and taking the ferry would be cheaper than taking a train in Jersey Ave. Or perhaps drive to a PATH train station? Also do you think getting the 3day hop-on-hop-off with NY pass for $200 is a good way to see the city? 4 of the people in our group are more than 60 :)

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,614 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sightseeing in NY but staying in NJ

I think that bus or train from New Brunswick would be a lot cheaper than a ferry. For example, an express bus from East Brunswick is $11 for adult and $5 for senior and the train from New Brunswick is $13. for adult and $5.75 for seniors.

The Seastreak Ferry from the Highlands is $45 round trip.

www.nywaterway.com

has ferry service from various points on the Hudson. Check them for locations, parking and fares.

Just a note, Ferry Service can be cancelled in bad weather.

I think the Hop-on-Hop off buses are a waste of time and money. I have seen very long lines at their bus stops.

Just use public transportation. Very easy to get around that way.

My suggestion is to get a map of NYC and each day plan on seeing sites near each other.

Edited: 10 August 2012, 13:03
6. Re: Sightseeing in NY but staying in NJ

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 14:15