We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our itinerary

Ayr, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Our itinerary

Hi all. Having done our research, my wife to be and I have came up with this as our guide for our honeymoon in New York. Feel free to rip apart, any helpful comments appreciated. Does this look realistic for time?

New York Itinerary : 9th - 16th October 2012

Tuesday:

Day of arrival. Land at JFK approx 12.40pm (US time).

Arrive at New Yorker hotel.

Get shower, change clothes and go out for something to eat local to hotel as we'll be hungry!

Take a walk to Times Square for a wander.

Top of the Rock observation deck at night.

Wednesday

Subway to ferry for Statue of Liberty and Ellis island immigration museum.

Walk back via Wall Street, Rockefeller centre, Chelsea and Soho.

Walk to Washington Square park and people watch.

Back to hotel to dump any shopping bags we may have, shower and change.

Subway to Brooklyn. Find restaurant to have dinner then walk back to Manhattan over Brooklyn bridge for view.

Thursday

8am : Empire State building observation deck

10.30am : Ground Zero

American museum of natural history

Central park

Shopping time

Friday

Up at 6am for train to Washington DC. Spend entire day in DC sightseeing.

Saturday

Grand central station for a look

Real Bronx tour

NBC studio tour

Train to New Jersey for Ice hockey game (hopefully)

Sunday

Circle line sightseeing cruise (3 hour full island cruise)

2pm: Little Italy and Chinatown gangsters walking tour. (2 hours long).

Shopping time: shops local to hotel

Rock Of Ages - Broadway

Monday (last day)

8am: Hard rock cafe for breakfast

11am: New York TV and movie sites tour

Shopping time

FAO Schwarz

Macy's

Tuesday

Explore 5th avenue in morning then head to airport at 3pm

Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,036 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our itinerary

Buy a 7 day Metrocard for both of you as soon as you arrive.

Day2 book the ferry ride in advance. Use the subway to go to your desired places. You cannot walk from Wall Street to your hotel and also back to Washington Square. Get a proper guide book and a map.

Do not be offended by replies blasting your use of Ground Zero. It is a holy cow.

Day 4 book your HOHO in Washington in advance and get on at Union Station.

All the best to both of you. Rock on.

Day 5 I highly recommend the audio tour of Grand Central Station and the eateries therein.

The Circle line tour is like the parsons egg. Good in bits. Most of it is good. Go ahead.

If you are set the Real Bronx, The NBC and the Gangster tours. But you are on your honeymoon. Ditch them. Relax and make it a stay to remember. FAO Schwartz? Maybe a dress rehearsal?

Enjoy your trip.

Edited: 12 August 2012, 20:51
Birmingham, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Birmingham
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our itinerary

I would suggest swapping the days for Top of the Rock and Empire State Building. Some will say to not do both, but the views and experiences are different enough to do both. I would recommend ESB at night because a big part of the view from TOTR is Central Park, which will be a big, black mass at night. Do ESB at night (try to get to the top in time for sunset) and TOTR during the day.

On Tuesday, the walk back from the Statue of Liberty ferry is a bit ambitious. Rockefeller Center could be done a different time. It would be a long walk, but from the ferry you could do Wall St., Soho, Washington Square, Chelsea and on to hotel.

On Thursday, you don't have enough time in the morning to do ESB (if you don't do it on the first night) before the 9/11 Memorial (proper name to use). Even if you do ESB the first night, you wouldn't have time for TOTR. I would recommend walking around downtown that morning and going to St. Paul's Chapel for the 9/11 exhibits and then to the memorial. Also, on this day, you won't have a lot of daylight left after the Museum of Natural History, so you won't be able to see a lot of it.

Friday - I am not a fan of day trips from NYC. There is so much to see and do to take a day away for somewhere else. Also, for DC, there is much more to see and do than can be done in one day. Plan a separate trip for another time to visit DC. Perhaps this can be a day to leisurely stroll through Central Park, check out Rockefeller Center and enjoy an easy day.

Monday - Hard Rock for breakfast? Really? I didn't know they did breakfast, but I wouldn't choose it anyway. Themed and chain restaurants should be avoided at all costs.

Hope you have a great time in NYC.

3. Re: Our itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2013, 19:16