We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

small village/town near new york?

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
161 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
small village/town near new york?

Hi, I would be travelling to New York in late September, and will be shooting some re wedding pictures while we are there. So I'm just wondering, is there any small town or village anyone can recommend? perhaps like within an hour drive? Im looking at some places with less people, has its own style perhaps I can shoot some pics with. Thanks for your time reading this and hope you can suggest me some places, thanks alot.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,040 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: small village/town near new york?

NYC is surrounded by many historic villages with character. You'll need to be more specific about the type of photos you envision.

Wedding photos typically don't provide an opportunity to capture the character of a village. If you are just looking for a nice, picturesque scene for wedding photos, there are lots great places in NYC. It's not all skyscrapers and crowded sidewalks.

new york city-usa
Level Contributor
91 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: small village/town near new york?

i would recommend Tarrytown or Sleepy Hollow...it's right near the

Tappan Z bridge with views overlooking the Hudson River... easy to get to and quaint shops and restaurants located within the town itself.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,041 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: small village/town near new york?

Rye is on the water and is pretty. Plus an old amusement park that'd me interesting background pic

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
161 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: small village/town near new york?

Thanks everyone for the feedbacks and really appreciated, the lists you guys gave me are really great as I checked out some pictures and the area. Yet Im still deciding which one to go.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
616 posts
913 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: small village/town near new york?

Many many people come to Cold Spring to have their weddings and photos taken with the Hudson River and Storm King Mountain in the background. Its 1hr 13 min on the Metro North Train.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
7,901 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: small village/town near new york?

Cold Spring / Beacon would be my immediate suggestion.

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: small village/town near new york?

If your interest is having a non-urban backdrop, a lot of people use Prospect Park in Brooklyn for wedding shots:

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=prospect+park+brooklyn+wedding\&f=hp

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
161 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: small village/town near new york?

CSSnowshoer, jhwanderer, RamblinBan

thanks again for your suggestions, cold spring is one of my few considerations for now. From the info and pictures I found online, Cold Spring should be a peaceful and friendly, with small population right?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
616 posts
913 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: small village/town near new york?

Well, peaceful and friendly- yeah- unless you come to one of our public meetings on a hot topic! But to a visitor, we are a lovely place, with several scenic parks, some nice lodgings, and lots of wonderful restaurants and shops. Our population is about 2000 and we are a mile by a mile in size. Our main street is a National Historic District with many buildings from the late 1800's.

Here are a few websites with some "scenes". You can also read reviews here in Tripadvisor.

http://www.boscobel.org/

coldspringny.gov/Pages/…cshistory

http://www.coldspringliving.com/lodging.htm.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
616 posts
913 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: small village/town near new york?

Oh- I forgot. You can also stop in at nearby Garrison Landing for great photo ops of the river with West Point in the background. If you are familiar with the film, Hello Dolly, with Streisand, the city of Yonkers in the film was filmed both in Cold Spring, and on Garrison Landing.