We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
31 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay

On our first visit to NYC we are spending five nights. We are looking to stay at either Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan / Fifth Avenue at 37th and 5th or NY Marriott Downtown in the Financial District on New Albany. Is one location more optimal than the other?

Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,006 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay

The Public Transport in NYC is beyond belief. So decide based on the money involved. The Financial district would be a little less crowded over the weekend. The Fairfield to me would have a slight edge.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,356 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay

Midtown, where the Fairfield is, is the more typical first visit location but the Marriott downtown is a 4* hotel while the Fairfield is not. I'm guessing you're using points and these 2 are similar pts so you'll get that for most tourists, the financial district location is not where they want to be. When are you coming? In winter, it's quite cold and windy downtown. Do you know what you want to see/do?

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
31 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay

Thanks for you replies. We will be there in October and are hoping for great weather. We plan to take in the typical tourist sites as well as a couple plays and just get a feel for some of the different neighborhoods.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,356 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay

Well the Fairfield is walkable to the theater district and a lot of the iconic places like Rockefeller Center, Central Park, Fifth ave. shops, Grand Central terminal. Common complaint on the reviews here are very small rooms and if you look at the travelers photos on the review page, you can see.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d1486164…

The Marriott Downtown is near the ferries to the Statue of Liberty, the 9/11 Memorial (which you need tickets for), the Staten island Ferry, South Street Seaport. In Oct. either would be very nice.

Here are some other photos of it.

oyster.com/new-york-city/…

Are these your only 2 options? If you've got Marriott points, I think there are a lot of better options but since I'm not a Marriott member, I have no way of knowing what's available for your dates or how many pts. each requires.

Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
31 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay

Which Marrriott properties would you recommend? I will check them for points and availability. Thanks.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
97,356 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay

Do it the other way. You see which are available for the dates you need at a point level that's acceptable for you. There are too many for me to list.

7. Re: Where to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2013, 19:17