We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to New York helllp!

Liverpool, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Travel to New York helllp!

Me and boyfriend are travelling to New York for 5 days. All flights and accommodation are already paid for. Do you think $2300 is sufficient amount of spending money for 5 day trip?

I have never been to USA so have not got a clue.

Any help is appreciated

Kind regards

Likely To Sell Out
Viator VIP: EmptyMet Tour at The...
141 Reviews
from US$175.00*
New York in One Day Guided...
1,015 Reviews
from US$83.99*
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island...
1,127 Reviews
from US$57.00*
NYC Empire State Observatory...
2,395 Reviews
from US$37.00*
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to New York helllp!

Personally I think that's heaps! It's $460/day between the 2 of you and while this would be more than enough for my bf and I, it does of course depend on what you want to do, what you want to eat and drink etc.

For a very basic idea:

Transport - get a 7 day subway pass. $29 each.

Sightseeing/tourist attractions - Google what you want to see or do and check prices.

Food + drink - NYC is great because you can pretty much eat as cheap or expensive as you like. There is no shortage of food options. Alcohol can be expensive. Don't forget about tips where required.

Shopping - depends what you want. For general shopping for clothes and shoes, most department stores and brands have websites where you can check prices.

While that's not very specific, the best thing to do would be to look online for what you want to see, do, eat, drink and where you want to shop to give you an idea of prices and you can see for yourself if you think you will have enough money.

Edited: 13 August 2012, 11:59
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
7,999 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to New York helllp!

Once you get your flight and hotel sorted out, NYC can be as expensive or as cheap as you want it to be. First of all, lots of the iconic things to do are free - Walking the Brooklyn Bridge, visiting Central Park. Taking the Staten Island Ferry, Saturday mornings in the Brooklyn Botanic Garden, visiting a great neighborhood, getting a Big Apple Greeter, the Brooklyn Flea - all free.

When it comes to food, NYC has some of the most expensive restaurants in the country - but it also has great cheap eats. Lots of great ethnic food, food trucks, local eateries, pizza and the lot.

And, when it comes to Broadway, you can spend a fortune trying to see the Book of Mormon, or you can head to the TKTS line and try your luck with discount tickets for Broadway or off-Broadway shows.

Yes - hotel prices are insane, but the rest can be done on a shoestring.

3. Re: Travel to New York helllp!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2013, 20:16