We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for our evenings in NYC

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendations for our evenings in NYC

Hi,

My friend (both mid to late twenties) and I are travelling to NYC in September, staying at the Azure for 6 nights.

We have a pretty good idea of where we'd like to go during the daytimes, but could do with some recommendations for the evenings.

Which is the best night club for house music? Along the lines of Ibiza or similar if possible.

We are thinking of having a slap up meal one evening, where would you recommend? And where would you recommend for good but reasonably priced food for the other evenings?

Which bars are good for cocktails and some music? And are there any areas where there are a few good bars close together?

Is it possible to get cheaper theatre tickets for the evenings?

Is there anywhere within walking distance of our hotel for food/drinks?

We are also going to see what takes our fancy when we are there, but would love some good recommendations to go on.

Thanks very much in advance,

Sarah

New York City
Level Contributor
4,679 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations for our evenings in NYC

If you want good and cheap

Upright Citizens Brigage is $5 a ticket. You need to reserve in advance as its pretty popular, Its Improv

http://www.ucbtheatre.com/

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,527 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations for our evenings in NYC

I don't think you have any idea of how many restaurants there are in NYC. Asking for recos without telling us what kind of food you like or what you consider a "slap up" meal price is like asking how long is a piece of string.

menupages.com

is one place to start looking at some restaurants yourself and prices. Other food websites include

seriouseats.com

chowhound.com

Our resident foodies on the forum are the Crans. Here's a thread with a cross section of their recos.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k5645932…

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
95,527 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations for our evenings in NYC

Yes, it's possible to get discount theater tickets to some shows. The left column of

broadwaybox.com

is one option which you can use several ways (by phone, online or print and bring with you and take to the individual theaters and avoid some transaction fees).

Using the TKTS booths on the same day is another. Info at

tdf.org/tkts

The tkts booth also has an app that usually tells you what's at each booth and for how much, but it hasn't been working for some time now.

To find out what's within walking distance of your hotel, map it on the classic version of google maps (on a computer) and use the 'search nearby' clickable link and type in whatever you want. There should be attached reviews. I don't know why, but the google maps app is useless (to me anyway).

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
96 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations for our evenings in NYC

Hi Sarah

I would really recommend spending an evening at Brooklyn Bridge Park/Brooklyn Heights. You can sit and watch the sunset over Manhattan, there is the River Cafe by the Brooklyn Bridge on the water (a very pricey restaurant, but if they are not too busy you can just go in for a drink at their small bar with great views). Or there is the Brooklyn Bridge Wine Bar www.brooklynbridgewinebar.com/Location.html or just sit by the water, and grab a hot dog, then take a walk on the Brooklyn Heights promenade. If the weather is good, this is such a lovely way to spend an evening.

www.alittlebigapple.com

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendations for our evenings in NYC

howardform - Thank you for the info, will have a look on there!

nywhiz - Sorry about that, I am aware that there are a lot of restaurants, but I wanted to know which ones people in the know recommend. I've looked on a couple of sites but the information is pretty generic about the decor etc. I will check out the website you recommended though. We like all types of food, and I guess we are thinking of spending about $30 on most nights for something to eat, and maybe several times that for one nice meal. I will have a look at the Crans recommendations.

Thank you for the broadwaybox link, do the tickets get discounted much on the day?

TheLittleEngine - That's great info, thanks. We are interested in visiting Brooklyn anyway so will definitely go at night.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendations for our evenings in NYC

That's $30 each to clarify - hopefully enough to get us some dinner!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
1,866 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommendations for our evenings in NYC

Hosue music is out of style in clubs, it's more about Top 40 and Hip Hop now. But Pacha has multiple rooms, one of which is house (expensive though at $30 cover). This is a branch of the one in Ibiza.

You can find other megaclubs by Googling, they're all the same basically.

The meatpacking district has at least 10 clubs within walking distance of each other, plus many bars and restaurants. Pastis and Dos Caminos are fun and a scene. The Frying Pan for an early burger dinner and pint on the water.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
20,862 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommendations for our evenings in NYC

Hi Sarah. NYWhiz wasn't referring to bad or mediocre restaurants :) There are way too many really good restaurants in NYC to simply pull a few recommendations out for you, especially having no idea of your preferences beyond price point.

There are seriously HUNDREDS of very good restaurants that would fit your current criteria and most New Yorkers have many favorite restaurants, eating different places as the mood strikes them.

Get specific. If you want a good Indian restaurant in a specific neighborhood for under $30 pp, post that request. You may even want to get specific about type type of Indian you want.

Don't stress about this. What it means is that you can have great meals without planning and traveling to each one. Some of my most memorable meals in NYC have been places I just found when the time was right, with zero planning. In fact, I will say ALL of my most memorable meals happened that way.

Halifax, UK
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommendations for our evenings in NYC

Hi Sarah

We got married in NYC a few years ago and are ourselves going back on 14th with friends.

Every tiome we go we book a tasting menu at L'Ecole - it's a fantastic french cooking school and basically customers get to eat top notch food before the chefs go out and get jobs at the top notch places in the city.

We always have the five course taster menu, with a different wine with each course and it costs something like £85 all in.

A bargain for New York and lovely food to boot

Have a great time - New York really is the best city ever

Halifax, UK
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recommendations for our evenings in NYC

More haste - less speed - I meant $85 not English pounds. Doh!