We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to smoke?

Norwich
Level Contributor
27 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
where to smoke?

Next week me and my two teenage kids (14 & 17) are visiting New York for the first time. I'm a very light smoker (1-3 per day, always outside, much enjoyed, and away from the kids). I'm a bit concerned that on holiday there will be nowhere for me to unwind at the end of the day with what we Brits call a 'crafty fag'! Our two hotels seem not allow smoking anywhere. Is this strictly true? Is there a usually a designated smoking area that they keep quiet about? What about bars - do you have beer gardens in NY? Can you smoke in a pavement cafe? Much as I hate to smoke and walk, I feel I might have to do this. Is this frowned upon?

I would be grateful if a native could enlighten me on NY smoking etiquette.

Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to smoke?

You could smoke outside the hotel. Sure you could smoke while taking a walk. I am a bit biased. I stopped cold turkey 2 years back after 2 decades of 2 pack smoking and I do get annoyed by people smoking in public places. Go figure.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,110 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: where to smoke?

There will be no places to smoke at the hotel - hidden or not. Can't smoke in outdoor cafes/restaurants so it is hanging outside in front of the hotel or as you walk.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to smoke?

You cannot smoke in bars and restaurants (including most parts of outdoor seating, such as sidewalk cafes), and hotels really are serious when they say they are no smoking. However, you will find "leper colonies" of smokers standing near the entrances of buildings all over the City, puffing away before they head back inside, so you don't have to walk and smoke.

Norwich
Level Contributor
27 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to smoke?

Wow its a pretty drastic situation! Is there really no opportunity for people to drink and smoke at the same time? Do some bars have an outdoor space where you can smoke?

Think I will have to cut right down and just bring a stash of tobacco for emergencies. Then maybe a walk to a harbour or somewhere... Maybe this is a good time to try out an electronic cigarette too.

Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to smoke?

Or maybe quit? Seriously people do smoke in NYC.

6. Re: where to smoke?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2012, 14:35
Edited: 14 August 2012, 14:35
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to smoke?

I don't think we are particularly embarrassed. Just occasionally really hot or cold. I don't mind smoking bans in restaurants and bars. But I do miss the days when I could enjoy a cigarette with a cup of coffee or a nightcap in a room I paid over $500 a night for.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
3,242 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where to smoke?

"And I stepped outside and smoked myself a J" - from Late in the Evening, Paul Simon.

So where do people do that in NYC these days??? Drive up to the Catskills? Oh how the Times have been a changin'

Lima
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where to smoke?

Here's a list of bars you can smoke in NYC:

…about.com/od/…smoker-friendly-bars.htm

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
119 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: where to smoke?

You may have paid over $500 for a room, but a non smoker may have paid the same amount to have the room after you.