We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Trip with my 8 year old daughter!

Decatur, Alabama
Level Contributor
109 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
First Trip with my 8 year old daughter!

Hi there,

I am traveling Friday, Nov 23rd to NYC and staying until Tuesday, Nov 27, 2012 with my 8 year old daughter and some other friends with their daughters. This will be my daughter's first trip.

Although I've been many times to NYC and seen all the "sights", this trip with be for my daughter and the other girls, and I'm trying to plan the "must-dos" of the trip. We will arrive at LGA by 1 pm and do not leave until 5 pm on Tuesday.

My daughter wants to see the SOL, ESB, AG store, Times Square, Today Show, skating in Bryant Park, Christmas windows, Museum of Natural History, Annie, and the Rockettes.

I would like to visit the 9/11 memorial (is this too heavy for her?) and maybe the Metropolitan Museum of Art, plus a little shopping!

Should we purchase a city pass or NY pass? How long for SOL since the statue is closed? If we do ESB should we do TOtR?

Also, if there is ANYTHING else that you think might be great for us to do - we are open to suggestions!!

Thanks in Advance!!!

Corner Bookstore
Gift & Speciality Shops
kate spade
Gift & Speciality Shops
Zabar's
Gift & Speciality Shops
Wayne, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,105 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Trip with my 8 year old daughter!

http://www.americangirl.com/stores/

seems to be very popular though not cheap. The passes are not recommended as not cost effective. Seeing the Memorial with your daughter is something only you can decide. The SOL still needs the ferry booking and you may want to visit Ellis Island too and so it will take you a few hours in total. Your daughter may enjoy this more than the 9/11 Memorial. It may be too hectic to visit all the places you mention and may depend on how tired the children and I would think the TOTR would be better than the ESB ..

I am sure you will get more specific and better replies.

Edited: 14 August 2012, 22:51
Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,837 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Trip with my 8 year old daughter!

Gazillion Bubble Show http://gazillionbubbleshow.com/ -- discounts available broadwaybox.com/shows/gazillion_bubble_show_…

Ft. Worth , Texas
Level Contributor
141 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Trip with my 8 year old daughter!

Max Brenner's was one of the highlights when I took my 11 year old for her birthday last year. She also enjoyed doing the Today Show, riding bikes in Central Park, Serendipity, FAO, Dylan's Candy Bar and she LOVED Wicked. Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Dylan's Candy Bar
Dylan's Candy Bar
26 Reviews
New York City, NY
4. Re: First Trip with my 8 year old daughter!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 00:15