We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from JFK to Time Square

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
16 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Getting from JFK to Time Square

Hi everyone! I'm going to be flying to JFK airport soon, and my hotel is in Time Square. I'm planning on buying a week long subway ticket to get around. My question is - how would you recommend I get from the airport to Time Square? I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me the steps/route I should take! My hotel is right in the square, so it doesn't really matter which station I go to.

Thanks a lot!

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from JFK to Time Square

First of all, it is Times Square, not "Time"; the place is named for the New York Times newspaper, which used to have its headquarters right there.

Secondly, before anyone can give you step by step directions, you really do have to say exactly what hotel you are goihjng to..

Edited: 15 August 2012, 16:27
Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from JFK to Time Square

WHAT hotel in TIMES Square - the name, please.

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
16 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from JFK to Time Square

Sorry, I meant to put Times Square. The hotel is called 'Hotel 41', here's a link:

hostelbookers.com/hotels/…

Is there a subway route that I could take? Thanks.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from JFK to Time Square

The place on that link says Equity Point.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k5450805…

NY NY
Level Contributor
1,840 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from JFK to Time Square

Easy. That hotel is on 41st Street between 7th-8th Avenues. From JFK, take the Jamaica-bound Airtrain to Archer Ave./Sutphin Blvd., where you'll get the Manhattan-bound E subway, which will take you directly to the Times Square station. The trip should be just under an hour.

New York City
Level Contributor
17,258 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from JFK to Time Square

41st Street? So your hotel is NOT "right in the square" at all, but is instead two blocks away. You need to start looking at some maps... (and also understand that Times Square is not the center of everything, or close to all sights, or convenient to every tourist destination, or a great place for restaurants, bars, and nightlife, or any of the other things that so many first time visitors mistakenly think it is.)

Anyway, if you want to go by public transportation from JFK to your hotel, you want to take the AirTrain from JFK to Jamaica, the E subway from Sutphin Boulevard station at Jamaica to 42nd Street, and then you will walk to your hotel. Here are directions about taking the AirTrain that were written by frequent poster MoreFFmiles for this forum:

"The JFK AirTrain is super pleasant - it is all above ground. Very pleasant - lots of visitors from all over the world. The most dangerous thing would be to trip over somebody's baggage.

You pay your fare at Jamaica - $5.00 per person.

Are you planning to buy an unlimited ride MetroCard for your visit? If so, you can start that after you exit the JFK AirTrain and before you board the E train. $29.00 buys you 7 days of unlimited rides. Great deal. You'll use the subways and buses more than you think.

You're going to walk across an elevated structure over the Long Island Rail Road as you walk from the JFK AirTrain to the E train (following the well-marked signage). You'll see MTA police with German Shephards. The dogs always seem to be fast asleep but the officers are awake and alert (or so it seems).

Take the Manhattan bound E train in the direction of World Trade Center. New trains and they have digital displays and clear audible announcements."

The station called 42nd Street actually runs for four blocks under Eighth Avenue, from 44th to 40th Street, with the downtown platform (where you will get off the E subway) running from 40th to 42nd. Exit to the street, and walk to 41st Street. Traffic on Eighth Avenue runs north, and street numbers increase from south to north, so that will give you an idea of where to go when you come to the street. When you reach the corner of 41st and Eighth, turn east; the hotel will be at the far end of the block on the right (or south) side.

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
16 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting from JFK to Time Square

Okay, thanks a lot for all your instructions (Outofhteinkwell and GreenWithBlue). Also, sorry if I seem like I don't know much about where I'm going - that's because I don't! It's my first time travelling alone, and first time in a place like NYC. I thought it might be a good idea to find out where to go! Anyway, I've checked out a subway map, and your instructions make sense. I'm glad the hotel is close to such a popular place - it shouldn't be too much trouble to find.

Also, I'm staying for a week, so thanks a great deal for the tip on the MetroCard. That's just what I needed!

Halesowen, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting from JFK to Time Square

hi could somebody give me some advice please on how to get from jfk to the crowne plaza times square is it as easy to get there as it was from newark to times square on the airtrain and the subway thank you belinda ...

Edited: 06 September 2012, 08:15
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Wakefield
Level Contributor
6,152 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting from JFK to Time Square

belinda - start your own new thread.

10. Re: Getting from JFK to Time Square

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 05:17