We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in October

Melbourne, Australia
6 posts
Save Topic
Weather in October

Hi just wondering what the weather is like in October in NYC, i will be there this year and just would like an idea on what to pack for NYC weather?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,733 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in October

From my experince it can be a mix of cold and warm weather.

I was there from 9-16th last year. The first day was 28C! Then it went down to 22C and some days were also 19C. Some days were sunny and some days were rainy.

Take some layers so you can add on or take off as you need it. Wet weather gear is also good or a light umbrella.

Also be aware that NYC is very humid. This makes it feel very uncomfortable especially in the subway stations. They can be like a sauna. The trains themselves are a/c though which is a relief.

Edited: 16 August 2012, 02:25
New York NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in October

October is a transitional month. We start to get some cold weather in mid-September (people start breaking out the fleeces and long sleeves)

Then we get what is commonly called "indian summer" in early to Mid-October where the fleeces and long sleeves can get put away and everybody wants to dine al fresco one last time before the miserable winter approaches.

Late October can feature very cold mornings but the sun will warm things up to a very comfortable feel in the late afternoon. It varies.

I hate late November through February when it is dark and cold. I generally deal well with the weather through somewhere into the middle part of November but every year is different. Lately we've had mild weather into December - it varies. Last year we had snow at the very end of October and very mild weather for New Year's Eve - you just don't know.

NYC / Fire Island...
Level Contributor
7,496 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in October

Hola.

We are suspect of anyone who "hates" New York at anytime of the year.

For the past 40+ years we have loved the October weather and events in NYC...the days are usually warm with cool evenings, the Met season has begun, the produce markets are full, and we can look forward to the Village Halloween parade.

Hope this helps. Your questions are always welcome.

Abrazos,

Matt

Casa Hoffa (South), Bahia Chahue, Huatulco, MX

Casa Hoffa (North), Fire Island, NY USA

Melbourne, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in October

Thanks for replies i will be there between the 27.10.12 - 01.11.2012 is it cooler then? thanks

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,508 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in October

Put in your travel dates and see historic weather.

www.wunderground.com/travelplanner/index.asp

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
28 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in October

I was there last Year from October 21- October 26th. The weather was cooler than I prepared for. Where I live it's usually moderate througout the year and cool during fall. The winds do make it feel colder than what it is. I would pack some extra warm clothes just in case.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
612 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather in October

I'm always amused by these weather questions. Unlike some other places on earth, NYC's weather is highly variable at any time of year, even in the course of 24 hours. October is more variable than other months because it is transitional.

It could be 26 celsius and humid. It could be 5 celsius and raining. There could be a hurricane. Last year, we had a blizzard at the end of October. Pack layers and you should be fine.

Edited: 16 August 2012, 07:08
Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather in October

Oh, for those dates it will be mild, sunny - no rain and very pleasant.

What is the exact weather in Melbourne for those dates?

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather in October

Nywhiz; that link is exactly what i've been looking for. Been trying to find historic data for november, so i have a rough indication of temp. and weather to prepare for my trip. That site does exactly that.

Thanks very much.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,508 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather in October

;)